This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: Toss Me!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: Toss Me!

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

March 14, 2011

Internet Cafe: Toss Me!


Gimli: Oh come on, we can take ‘em.
Aragorn: It’s a long way.
Gimli: Toss me.
Aragorn: What?
Gimli: I cannot jump the distance; you’ll have to toss me.
[pauses, looks up at Aragorn]
Gimli: Don’t tell the elf.
Aragorn: Not a word.

- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Watch video clip here. (39 seconds)

In the above dialogue from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gimli is ready to fight. He sees his destiny before him, but he discovers that there is no way he can get there without help. In a moment of decision, he swallows his pride and asks for a favor. Aragorn agrees to assist Gimli and tosses him into battle. Gimli wastes no time and begins to fight the forces of evil. (Cue the sound of swords clanging.)

Many times God designs our steps so that we will need other people. We will not be able to get where God wants us to go if we are not willing to make “asks” of ourselves. I found this out in my early 20′s when God called me on a mission trip and then told me to ask others to help pay my way. I thought since God wanted me to go, He would supernaturally provide the funds. Well, he did….through the pocketbooks of my family and friends. God criss-crosses our paths with others in order to develop us into His image and to teach His children to work together.

However, we cannot simply ask people to help us if we have not prepared ourselves for the “toss.” Gimli could ask for help from his king, Aragorn, because he has invested into a future favor.

1. Gimli has already developed a friendship with Aragorn. When you ask something of others, you need to have a solid relationship with them that fosters mutual loyalty, respect and trust.

2. Gimli has proven himself in battle. If you want someone to “toss” you into your destiny, you need to show that you are able to handle the new level of combat. It would be heartbreaking to “toss” someone into battle only to watch him/her fall.

3. Gimli has shown other strengths that balance out his weaknesses. When Gimli asks for help, he is admitting to a weakness (he can’t jump); but he has already demonstrated other strengths (excellent fighter, loyalty, perseverance) that prove he is battle-ready. People need to know that their help will empower you, not indulge you.

4. Gimli has selflessly sacrificed for others. People will not help you if your thoughts are only about yourself. There is a battle of good vs. evil, and we all need to band together to win our predestined victories. Selfishness is an inward battle we need to defeat every day before we can accomplish the great plans that God has for us.

So my advice to anyone who knows that one day she will need to be “tossed” into the next level of her destiny would be to continue the fight. Don’t think about what you need; God will take care of you. You just keep seeking God, serving others, developing your skills and fighting the small battles that God has prepared for you. One day you will hit a brick wall, and your destiny will be raging on the other side of it. You will look over your shoulder and someone will be there to “toss” you. Just swallow your pride and prepare to be catapulted into your future.

Questions: Was there ever a time that you had to make an “ask” of yourself? How have others helped you accomplish God’s will for your life?

“The king said to me, ‘What is it you want?’ Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, ‘If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it’” (Nehemiah 2.4-5 NIV).

You can also read this article over at the Internet Cafe!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

8:53 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

We are thinking along the same topics today?? We need to help each other...

10:40 AM  
Blogger Roy said...

Hi! I just tagged you in the One lovely blog awards.
Do check out the details at my end.
www.royremi.blogspot.com
Cheers!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

Good point! Like the way you illustrated it.
Blessings,
Karen :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Beth Herring said...

Alisa - i always love your writing and love the message you extend to us from it.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Leah Adams said...

Can't wait to go read more!!

leah

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you! I read the rest, and really enjoyed it.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Great scene from a great movie! I love Gimli and appreciate what you pointed out from his example--he'd already proven himself as a self-sacrificing hero. So he didn't expect Aragorn to do his work for him; he just needed a helping hand. Good points!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Goodness, Alisa! This just hit home for me!

I have just recently booked my first two speaking engagements - I'm excited, and TERRIFIED!

I couldn't have gotten this far without the help of my friends - my small group of writer friends. They uphold me and encourage me. They are providing the "toss" - and I'm counting on God to give me the strength for the battle!

I got a smile with the "asks" remark!!

GOD BLESS!

(p.s. Don't tell my husband - but I have a giant crush on Aragorn!)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

I think I need to pick up this trilogy! Would you believe I've never read it?

An elderly preacher friend always said, "When you have problems, reach out to someone else and help them." It was good advice back then and is still good advice now. :)

Blessings,
Susan

3:50 PM  
Blogger Jan Christiansen said...

Hmmm - I think I've had to make an "ask" out of myself many times. God never meant for us to do life alone. He put us in a family of believers so that when we need that extra boost, there is someone there to help. Thanks for this post that reminds us that we are to help others and that we should not be too proud to ask for help when we need it. Blessings!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

This was very thought-provoking. I can just simply say thank you so much for being a tool in His hands to prod me on to some deeper thinking, and even more so: continuing the battle and keeping up the fight. He knows the plans He has for us. . .and He's taking us there, one step at a time, as long as we'll keep hanging in here, fighting with His strength and not our own.
Thanks again.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home