This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: My Mauve God

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: My Mauve God

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

January 24, 2011

Internet Cafe: My Mauve God


In 2010, I read a ton of books written by Christian leaders. I felt like God opened my mind, and the insights from these amazing men and women poured into my soul. However, something began to irritate me – I became a little jealous of God’s glory in these people’s lives. His Spirit shone in brilliant colors that seemed to overshadow my seemingly lackluster life.

For example, one leader saw the physical manifestation of Jesus during a very difficult time in his life. Another leader witnessed the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, which came down on his audience like fire. And another leader performed a miraculous healing with the power of Jesus’ name. I began to feel inadequate because I had never experienced any of these things, and I desired so much to see God’s glory in my life.

I contemplated all of this while I was helping my kids color at the kitchen table. I had just bought a jumbo box of crayons, and I was intrigued by all the shades of the same color. I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to pick a color. I chose pink. Then He told me to gather all the shades of pink I could find. He had me write the name of each crayon in its color on a piece of paper. By the time I was done writing all the shades of pink, I had a list of over 20 colors. I folded the paper and stuck it into the pocket of my jeans. I knew God was going to teach me something.

Once I put my kids to sleep for naptime, I went into my closet to pray and read my Bible. I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to take the list out and look at it. I unfolded it and looked from one color to the next, analyzing how each color name fit its shade. Some pinks were bright with a hint of orange. Others were bold with a lot of red. While others were so pale that they were almost transparent.

God asked me, “Which color do you like best?”

I scanned the list and chose mauve.

“Why do you like mauve,” He asked.

“It’s subtle, earthy and not overly showy,” I said. Though I appreciated the brighter and richer shades of pink, I liked the easy-going, down-to-earth shade of mauve. It had a lot of purple in it, which is my favorite color.

“Mauve is my shade of love for you. It is how My glory appears in your life,” God said. “I show Myself in the daily activities of your day—nothing out of the ordinary, but always very special.”

I thought about it for a moment, and I understood what God was saying. I see God in everything around me: I see Him in a bird flying, I see Him in my kids, I see Him in a song on the radio, I see Him in my memories and my daily activities. I see Him in the small nuisances of my life, and His glory in me is just as powerful and amazing as His glory in the prophet, the preacher and the healer. I see God face to face, and His presence lives in and through me. He is my Mauve God.

You can also read this devotional at the Internet Cafe!


Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Braley Mama said...

Wow, that is so super cool! I love how He is so real in our lives, yet so different and specific to each of us:O)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I commented on Internet Cafe. What a post about colors! We are all different
kim

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Renee Ann said...

Love this post! At one point in my life, I remember thinking of Him as my "pink ribbon God" because He seemed to add special touches to everyday life when I least expected it. Now I might associate Him most with a bright blue--the color of a happy sky after a storm.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Beautifully illustrated message, Alisa. And colorful, in your own unique way.

I watched a movie a while back, I think it was filmed in Peru. It was about how we all give off colors, that can only be seen supernaturally. I know that can be taken as 'new age' stuff, but still, I saw God in that colorful depiction. So it makes sense, that you are seeing things in quiet shades, in the exact way that God made you. Beautiful post!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

This was just lovely, Alisa.

Don't we just get ourselves "all worked up" when we go around comparing ourselves to others' "colors"? I know I do. Sometimes I think I'm nothing but just a beige blob. But, have you ever seen the shades of beige at the paint store?

You've made such a great point - and it has touched my thinking and my heart. It is a rare gift to be able to SEE God in all things - and you do. And if that is "mauve" - then I LOVE mauve!

All praise to the God of the infinite colors of the rainbow...

GOD BLESS!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

My friend and I once tried to assign colors to people. It was a pretty fun excercise. It got a little challenging when we got to ourselves and had to chose a color for each of us.

My friend chose irridescent for me, she said I reflected the people I was around most of the time. It's so true of me. I'm not sure I like that sort of nondescription of me, but you're right, to God mauve never looked so beautiful as when he painted it all over your life. I guess if he painted me irridescent that's okay too.

Thanks for the encouragement. It was the highlight of my blogging adventures today!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I loved this!!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this reminder that God works differently in all of our lives. So timely, too, as I raise children who always want to know why things aren't "fair." Thanks!!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Well said. As with so much, it is the attitude and the 'way' we see that determines our outlook.

2:19 PM  
Blogger JT said...

We all need to see God in everything. He is always there. Great Post.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Alisa, I love how you see God in the ordinary, everyday things. You inspire me to keep my eyes open to see Him in the everyday things around me.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Tracey M. said...

I had a great time browsing your blog tonight. It's inspiring that the Lord has gifted you with such talent for writing and sharing your walk with the Lord. How wonderful that you visited my blog. I downloaded the Sitting with God devotional. There is so much to feast on here at this site, it is going to be fun visiting!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Alene said...

Love it!!! I think my favorite color is pink and recently every time I see a pink sunset I hear God say, "Here you go girl. This is for you!" I love how He loves us.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home