This Page

has been moved to new address

Wayback by Batterman

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Wayback by Batterman

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

January 14, 2010

Wayback by Batterman

Win a free copy of Wayback. See details below.
Christian novelist, Sam Batterman's, first novel, Wayback, is an enthralling speculative adventure about a time machine that brings several scientist back in time to the year 2300 BC. This expedition sounds far fetched on the onset, but Batterman does a great job of laying a firm foundation that makes the time machine and expedition seem logical.

Why the year 2300 BC? you might ask. This date is before the Great Flood. The scientists tried to go back further, so they could see their furry ancestors hanging from the vines; but the trips failed because there was nothing for them to go back to. Maybe the earth is not as old as we think. Maybe we didn't evolve from a lonely single cell. Maybe life is not just an accident.

Wayback is Case for Creation weaved into an exciting storyline. The readers get all the scientific evidence disproving evolution tightly wrapped in a can't-put-the-book-down exploit. What I like most about the book is that Noah's Ark isn't just a story for kids that makes cute decor for a baby's room. It is a real boat that was made by a real family in a world that had real problems.

I applaud Batterman for tackling one of the biggest lies in our culture today and replacing it with God's truth, a dash of wit and a heap of adventure.

A few of my favorite quotes From Wayback:

~ Neil looked up and examined the silver, luminous orb. Indeed, the moon lacked the familiar distinct craters and graying -- it was like a giant, flawless mirror reflecting the sunlight back to earth.

I like this quote because it illustrates that instead of evolving, we are actually de-evolving. Psalm says that the earth will "wear out like a garment" (Psalm 102.25-26 NIV).

~ Earth was created by God as a special, beautiful place
where His creation could choose to serve Him and fellowship with Him in a freewill manner, not as robots or slaves but as friends by choice and loyalty, and as family by position.

This is a wonderful description of God's love.

~ We don't want to stand out like Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy beaming into the Wild West."

This is just funny!

~ Troy followed the track down the length of the Ark, reaching out and running his hands across the inner support beams as he walked. He had dreamed of being inside Noah's Ark since he was a small boy in Sunday school, and now here he was, walking on one of the decks of the vessel that would save mankind."

I like this quote because it paints a picture in the readers' minds of the Ark. This helps the readers to have a go-to point in their brain (lexicon) that will help them to feel secure in believing in Noah's Ark and the other historical stories in the Bible.

Interview with Batterman

1) What made you write a book?
Well, God works in mysterious ways. In my job I do a lot of traveling. Back when I started Wayback, I was driving to Pittsburgh a lot (a 5 hour trip from Philadelphia). Ever since high-school, I had always wanted to write a book, but career and family and everything else pushed it out of the way.

On one particular day when I was doing that 5 hour drive, I decided to turn off the radio and the CDs and just think through a very strange, but fascinating idea that I had: “What would it be like to go back to the Pre-Flood era?”

As I drove, more and more ideas and characters came to my mind, by the time I was four hours into the trip I had to pull off at a service plaza and start writing down the ideas or I was afraid I would lose them. The vision of the book was brilliant and I tried to execute what I saw in my mind on paper to the best of my ability. It took two years from first sentence to publication.

2) How much life experience and research went into your writing?
A lot of the technology in the book is real and I work in the high-tech field, so much of that was easy for me. The research was very taxing and virtually every chapter required hours and hours of research. What was the landscape like? How many people would be alive? Where was the Garden of Eden? What was man capable of building and organizing? How did the Flood happen? There’s a lot of great work done on all these ideas and I wanted to coalesce it into an adventure story. There’s a real trick to taking science and research and making it digestible in a novel.

3) What is your hope for Wayback and its influence on our culture?
First, I hope the story is enjoyable and interesting. No one likes a book that’s boring. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, but if they finish the book and the story makes them think, then I have accomplished something of substance.

Second, my hope for anyone that does finish the book is that they realize that we don’t know it all, but God does. Our children are taught that we came from billions of years of evolution and that we are an accident that eventually became optimized by the process of natural selection and mutation. So, we are basically mistakes, with no overall design. We live, we die, that’s it. There are no repercussions of our actions here and there is no truth, except for how we perceive it. Science can save us—it must, because there is no other way.

Then there’s the other side. What God describes in His word. We were designed to walk with God (literally). We didn’t start out simple, we started out more complex, more healthy—more optimized—if I can use that term. God loves us so much that He made us in His image and created this entire planet and universe for us to use and explore and to show his glory and power. We broke a rule and destroyed our physical and spiritual relationship with Him (our ability to walk with Him and for Him to be near us) and He devised a plan to restore fellowship by sending His son, Jesus, to die for us on the cross. Over-arching love and design (design even in the plan to restore us) is the story.

On the flip side, we teach our children in Sunday School that the ark was a crowded vessel with giraffes and elephants all crammed into a barely sea-worthy boat and a rainstorm came up. Is it any wonder that our children grow up and think of this as a myth? We can do better. We must do better.

4) How has God changed you through the path of publication?
Personally, I have a new appreciation for the book of Genesis and its importance to our faith. It tells us everything that science cannot: Who made us. Why we are here. What our purpose is. Where we are going. Why the world is the way it is (in every way).

Also, I have learned that we have a responsibility to use the media of this world to explore these ideas and share our faith. We have done this with printing presses, television and movie and music. We are doing this with books and still we see more media to leverage. We have the best opportunity of any generation to share our faith clearly and honestly with the world.

Buy your copy of Wayback at Amazon and check out Sam Batterman's website or his blog.

*If you comment on this post, you will be entered into a drawing to win a free copy of Wayback. We will choose the winner next Friday, January 22.






First Friday Fiction

Labels: , , , ,

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooohhhh!!! Sounds like my kind of read!!! I will definitely pick this one up!!! I enjoy reading books that are entertaining plus educational!

The interview was fantastic!! That is interesting the book came to him in a drive.

(: Crissy

5:31 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Skip is looking for a new book and this sounds perfect. I would of course read it first;) Great interview!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have read this book and it is phenomenal to say the least. Sam Batterman is filling a void in Christian fiction with his use of technology in a thrilling drama. A must read.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Andrea Schultz said...

I like the sound of this one; please count me in!

Blessings - Andrea

andrealschultz[at]gmail[dot]com

http://andrealschultz.blogspot.com

Please visit my blog - thanks! : )

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to read this book. Thanks for the author information.
-Tristan
trismigs@gmail.com

8:15 PM  
Blogger Braley Mama said...

This sounds really good!
The reality of Genesis being 100% true and the idea of what life was like pre-flood fascinates me.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Alene said...

This sounds so interesting. You're a great book reviewer.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kristen Torres-Toro said...

What a cool concept! Thanks for the review!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Sounds like a very neat book! Thanks for telling us about it Alisa! :)

10:52 PM  
Blogger Jan Cline said...

Congratulations to Sam! How exciting. Sounds like a great theme to reach people.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

This sounds like a very interesting and great book. Thanks for reviewing it!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I love love love Christian fiction.. I will watch for his book. I read everything that Frank Peretti writes..

9:18 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

Wow! Looks like an amazing book! I love anything that takes me to another era!

10:00 AM  
Blogger The Tooley Times said...

I need a new appreciation for Genesis!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Patricia PacJac Carroll said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. Would make a great gift to those sucked in by the evolution lie.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jill Kemerer said...

I love how you put quotes of the book here and then told us why you liked them. Very cool!

The book sounds really good and interesting.

Have a great weekend!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

This sounds interesting. Thanks for the info! :)

Karen
klange61(at)hotmail(dot)com

2:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Great book review and interview.

Makes me want to read the book.

Sweet dreams.

8:35 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Thinking that this would be a read that could spur alot of conversation.. both with believers, and non believers... Sometimes just an ordinary gal or guy, with alot of knowlege, and courage to step out and write, makes the best kind of reading material... thanks for sharing about it...
karen
http://www.karensthreadsofhope.blogspot.com

8:46 PM  
Blogger Aik said...

I'd love to read this book! Sounds so interesting. :)

aikychien at yahoo dot com

9:25 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Sounds like a great read! I usually end up reading nonfiction, but this novel sounds really different and interesting.

I'm getting ready to do a review and interview with a Christian author on my blog next week. It's a great parenting book. You'll have to stop by and check it out!

I know I've told you this before, but I love your site. So informative and uplifting! ;0)

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Amanda (aka Tigermadstanley) said...

What a wonderful blog you have. This book sounds wonderful. I shall have to explore your blogs further as He brought you to my blog and to leave a comment there for a reason.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jeanette Levellie said...

Thanks for offering a free copy as a prize.

I love it that it only took Mr. Batterman two years from first sentence to publication--that's encouraging!

Please enter my name in the drawing.
jeanettelevellie(at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you,
Jen
Audience of ONE

6:26 PM  
Blogger debijackson said...

I could use this in my life right now. jacksond@nhr3.net

9:05 PM  
Blogger debijackson said...

I'm needing this kind of help now. jacksond@nhr3.net

9:07 PM  
Blogger Tonya Ingram said...

I'm in! Sounds like an awesome book.

8:56 PM  
Blogger QAMom said...

This sounds like something both Hubby and I would like. loveofmath at gmail dot com

9:39 AM  
Blogger alwayshopeful said...

i like reading genesis as well.People looking for answers to when and how and God already told us!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

I think my husband would really enjoy this book!
kerriekg@yahoo.com

10:32 PM  
Blogger Cindy Faulkner said...

I just finished reading genesis today (reading through the Bible in a year). This book sounds like a great way to visualize Noah's ark and the flood.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home