This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: No-Thank-You Bite

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: No-Thank-You Bite

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

January 5, 2010

Internet Cafe: No-Thank-You Bite


Have you ever eaten a “No-thank-you-bite”?

You are eating with a friend. She offers you food, but you really don’t want to taste it. However, she looks at you with an enthusiastic smile, nudging the spoon toward your mouth.

You are eating at her favorite sushi restaurant (raw fish makes your stomach churn, and you’re there just for the teriyaki chicken) or she just made her award-winning quiche (you really don’t like eggs because the texture is slimy, but the bacon sure smells good). She is over-the-top eager for you taste the food even though you confess that you dislike it.

I do not eat green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.


You finally take the bite because you figure that her feelings are more important than your taste buds. You smile and tell her that it’s wonderfully made and admit that you can see why people would love it. . . .yet, (unlike the green eggs and ham) it is still not something you would eat again.

I’ve realized that God also gives us “No-thank-you bites."

I remember when I had just finished grocery shopping, and I drove past a local ministry. All of a sudden, I felt a passion to help this ministry. I knew the Holy Spirit was prompting me, but I had absolutely no idea how I would fit another thing onto my already bulging plate of to-dos.

I kept thinking to myself, “I’ve never been passionate about this type of ministry before.”

I shrugged my shoulders and said, “Okay, God. Just tell me what I need to do.”

I decided to make my spirit available for God to lead, and I went on about my day. That night I told my church home group that God prompted me to help out this ministry. After I finished telling my story, my friend’s eyes bulged out of their sockets. She told us a long narrative about how that ministry has been on her heart for years, but she has never taken the first step of faith to get involved.

The next morning, I picked up my friend, and we drove to the ministry to see if we could help out. My friend chatted away, got phone numbers and took charge of a particular need they had.

I just sat there realizing that God had just given me a “No-thank-you-bite.”

My friend went on to organize a beautiful giving campaign, and I tagged along offering encouragement. God used me to “taste” a ministry, so my friend could have an all-out dinner buffet. Isn’t God so cool!

Can you look back to a time that God gave you a “No-thank-you-bite”? What did it taste like?

“They were all encouraged and ate some food themselves” (Acts 27:36 NIV).

You can also read this at the Internet Cafe!



Labels: , , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Joanne@ Blessed... said...

LOVE your new look! And, yes, I have taken many 'no-thank you bites'. Way too many in December to count.

Could be why my scale is up EIGHT pounds!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'll eat just about anything but I've had my "no-thank-you" moments in other areas of my life.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Braley Mama said...

I am that friend:)
Can't wait to read the rest!
But if I love something, then you NEED to try it:):)HaHa!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Richele McFarlin said...

LOL..sadly I have eaten too much stuff I would rather have turned down.

Alisa: no problem missing my email. Take all the time you need, I'll hold onto the book for you. No big deal at all! Whenever you get your PO box just email me at richelemcfarlin@bex.net. :) I'm in no rush. Just making sure I'm doing my end really. Now that I have..lol...you can take as long as you need! lol.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lacey said...

i love all foods except I do not like raw fish. That is uncooked not food.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Your Jane Ministry sounds neat. I wish we had something like that in the Denver area.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes love the no thank you bites, I have always been a picky eater and then my son is!
Kim

1:44 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today! I am really impressed by your THREE blogs, and may contribute something to one of the others.

You are doing some amazing work! Keep it up!

8:15 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

My first bite of curry. Yuck! But I kept it in my mouth, 'cause I liked my (now) husband.

And... hey, we eat curry about once a week these days. Sometimes it's just the getting-used-to. :)

Thanks for stopping by Seedlings in Stone, btw.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Freddae' said...

New to your blog...love it! I'm now following. Great post.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Alisa, thank you for visiting my blog! I really like yours and look forward to getting to know my sister in Christ better :)

I'd also like to invite you to my group on LinkedIn called Christian Authors, Editors, Publishers, and Bloggers. The link is:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=1903782&trk=anet_ug_hm

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Marcus Goodyear said...

As someone who has trouble saying "No" I really appreciate when God does it for me.

In my experience, he often lets me overextend myself if I get too overeager and self-important. But then he reminds me that he's God and doesn't really need my help in every endeavor--though I hope he appreciates my enthusiasm. : )

(I came over with LL from HighCallingBlogs.com, but I hope having a man comment isn't crashing the party or anything.)

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog I have something for you at my blog

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You astonish me post after post, Alisa! This line will stay with me for quite some time: "God used me to “taste” a ministry, so my friend could have an all-out dinner buffet."

That is freaking cool!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Do you ever sleep?

Three blogs. Writing books. And a million other things.

Amazing!

Love the young girl journal entry.

Sweet dreams.

10:21 PM  
Blogger koralee said...

Just found your lovely blog...I love your message today. What a wonderful way to think. Thank you for this....your writing is beautiful. xo

10:24 PM  
Blogger Warrior Mom's of Christ In Prayer said...

I have tears in my eyes...Wow! I love what you wrote, "God used me to “taste” a ministry, so my friend could have an all-out dinner buffet." Wow! Thank you for your obedient heart Alisa!!! By the way, this is another blog I have...it's me Teresa..LOL!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - you had me so grossed out. I kept thinking, "O.K. if I have to take a bite give me an unused spoon, but do not make me share a utensil - EWWEEE"

What a perfect post - it also points out that just because God wants us to help doesn't mean to run a program - big and little ways to help are so important!

BTW I have an award for you over at my place!

9:52 PM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

I love how God can speak to our hearts......and bellies......so perfectly!

Happy New Year, my friend! Can't wait to hear where 2010 takes you.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess lately He is stretching me to make new friends and rekindle some relationships from the past I'd rather not. I know He only has my best interests at heart. :O)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Wow, what a testimony. It is so important to obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit. If you had not obeyed then the ministry in question would not have received such a great blessing through your friend.

Keep on obeying. Lives are at stake.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jeanette Levellie said...

I love this analogy, Alisa. I'm sure the Lord has taken thousands of "No thank you" bites from me. It humbles me to think He's willing to co-labor with me to get the job done, even though I'm sometimnes a lousy cook!

Love this blog!

Jen
Audience of ONE

4:16 PM  
Blogger Peter Stone said...

Great article, and I love that book. I read it to my son several times a year, LOL. And yes, how times do we get those 'no-thank-you-bites?' For over a decade I wanted to share with others my recovery from depression, but always put if off "until later..."
Then one day a good friend gave me a really strong push.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it far from here?

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home