This Page

has been moved to new address

Imagination Quote Collection

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Imagination Quote Collection

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

December 18, 2009

Imagination Quote Collection

I'm collecting Christian quotes about the imagination! Read to the finish and find out how you can participate!


I love this song because Lanae Hale uses her IMAGINATION! She is Peter running on water in the darkness trying to reach Jesus. Have you ever looked down into water from a bridge at night? It looks like an abyss of nothingness (Yes, I did go bridge jumping with my youth group in high school one cold February night. Shhhhhh . . .don't tell anyone ;-).

So Lanae is running on water in the middle of the night and the waves are crashing against her. The roar of the wind is all around her; but she knows that if she could just reach Jesus, she'll be safe from the storm! Can you just imagine that and relate it to your life today?! The imagination is an awesome thing! It helps us to meditate on God and His Word. It helps us to get our faith from our heads to our hearts!

Just today I read in John Piper's book "Life as a Vapor" that "One of the great duties of the Christian mind is imagination." This is so affirming to me because Piper is one of those intellectual Christians (I mean this in the best sense). I'm currently reading four of his books -- I started them over two years ago -- and they are like lean meat: you can only take a few bites then it takes about a month to chew and digest them.

The fact that Piper places so much emphasis on the imagination is very cool because the imagination has such a bad reputation. Many of us think the imagination is for creative, yet ditsy people or for new-age people who seem to make up the purpose of life as they go. Yet, here is a Ph.D. college professor turned pastor who firmly believes that the imagination is necessary for Christians! Wahoo!!! The imagination is awesome!

Though there are many uses for the imagination in all sorts of fields (science, sports, therapy, etc.), I want to highlight its use in meditation. Meditation is extremely Biblical. Just go to Bible Gateway or Blue Letter Bible and type in "meditate." You will get a ginormous list of verses! Meditation is used to fill our minds with God and His Word; It is not used to empty our minds into some sort of empty, blissful state.

When we meditate, we can ponder scripture, which means we mull it over in our minds until the Holy Spirit can get understanding through our dense and cluttered brains. We can memorize scripture, which works best when a verse jumps up and hits you! Or -- my favorite -- we can use our imaginations to understand the stories in the Bible better and God's character better.

We can imagine Jesus is sitting there next to us while we pray (which He is). We can imagine that the world around us disintegrates and we are at the foot of God's throne (which we are). We can draw or paint a picture of truths that we have discovered in the Bible (I did this with the Tree of Life -- I'll have to show you sometime). We can take a story from the Bible and play it out in today's time (e.g. Instead of Jesus dying on a cross, we can imagine Him dying in an electric chair or by lethal injection). Or we can imagine that we are there in the story, which is what Lanae does in her song.

The imaginations adds emotion and depth to the Bible and God and gives us a viewpoint that we would never have if we just read it. There are a lot of Christians with a head full of knowledge, but we want to be Christians with hearts changed for God. Try it out. I think you'll enjoy it. I wish more Christians were wearing their yoga style pants, smelling their rooms up with incense, carrying their grass mats into their closets and meditating on Scripture and God. We would shock the free world!

In order to show my love of God's gift of the imagination, I will be compiling a list of imagination quotes from the published writings of Christ followers. And I need your help! When you are reading your Christian books, articles, journals, lyrics, etc. and you run across a quote about the imagination, send it my way. Make sure the writer is a Christian and not just a pretty sounding false prophet. I don't care how spectacular a false prophet's writing is. If I don't see JESUS, I ain't (and I say "AIN'T") reading it!

If you find a gem or write a gem, send it to me and I'll give you credit! I would liked Faith Imagined to be the leading web site with the MOST imagination quotes written by Christians!

To visit the collection click here.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

I will be on the lookout for stuff.. sounds intriquing to me.. But what came up first thing when reading your blog today, was what a Powerful imagination that Jesus had to have had, to create from nothing, everything!!! Now girl, thats an overactive imagination if ever there was one!! Lovin' Jesus for being the Leader of the pack!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I know what you mean about lean meat reading - only being able to read a very little bit and then having to chew on it for quite awhile. That's how one of the books I'm reading is....well have been reading for about a year now. It's called "The Christians Secret of a Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith. Excellent book so far! But it seems I can only read a small bit and then have to put it down and think on it for a good while and in most cases....apply it.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

I am with you about spending my time reading {and filling my mind} with what is praise worthy. To think about such things... I will holler back if I come across a great quote to add to this!
Wylie

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a grand idea! I hope you collect lots of great quotes!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Great idea, I'll be on the look out.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love this idea...

11:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a wonderful post about a topic I rarely hear discussed. And thanks for the music... I'm checking out her other stuff now!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

I too think the imagination has gotten a bad reputation with Christians! Time to take it back!!!

I will be on the lookout for quotes!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

What an inspired idea to collect quotes! I'll let you know if I find one.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I'll send quotes your way as I come across them - is there a submission deadline? ;)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Jean Wise said...

Amazingly I wrote a post about imagination just last week. Yes it is a gift to see God's wonder and to grow closer to him. Discovered your blog from Melinda Mean's blog. love how the internet connects us.

Jean Wise
http://www.healthyspirituality.org

5:53 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Can you give me an example of an imagination quotation?

Or did you? And it's late and I missed it.

I'll go back and look.

Sweet dreams.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

I'm going on a limb here...I just read "The Seven Mountain Prophecy." The author talks about how we have a left and right side to our brains. The left side is intellectual, and the right side is creativity. Those who are left-brain thinkers have a harder time hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit. The right-brain thinkers are those who dream, have visions, and hear from God frequently.

Anyway, last year before I even read this book, I was sitting at God's feet, and I asked Him why some people have dreams and visions, and see manifestations of Jesus fairly often, and others don't. Here's what He said:

"You will see the glorious manifestations when you are sur right."

So I looked up 'sur' and it means 'over or above.' At the time I didn't know what that meant.

So now, after reading that book that makes perfect sense. The right-brain thinkers are more developed in their child-like faith, and thus, they are 'sur' right, and see and hear from God in a special way.

Great post!

9:31 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

Great idea!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, great idea! I will keep my eyes open!

I too love John Piper, but have had the same experience - I can read about a paragraph, then I have to take a break and digest what I read!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'll be keeping my eyes open! Love your new blog design. Looks wonderful.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas... thanks for entering my giveaway!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Corrie Howe said...

I will keep this in mind as I'm reading. The imagination is a good thing, where would we be without it?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

Can I submit one from my book? It doesn't have the word 'imagination' in the quote, but a related word, 'thoughts.'

"What we as parents do in our daily interactions with our children plants deep within them the compost from which will spring their future thoughts, decisions and actions." Warren Baldwin, "Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks and Other Gems from Proverbs," p.41.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

Actually, I just linked over here to say, "Merry Christmas."

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Hi Alisa!

I will be on the lookout for some. i wrote an article a while back titled: "Should Christians Have An Imagination?" You might be interested in this. You should be able to click directly to it from my name link!

Have a blessed New Year!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Linda Wichman said...

Alisa,

First off, thanks for commenting on my Bard at Work blog, which made me realize I've neglected blogging to a point of utter shame! That said, as a writer I'm encouraged by your post on Imagination. Sadly Imagination is absued by mankind's sinful nature.

I write speculative (scifi/fantasy)romance, a genre not necessarily embraced by the Christian community and yet that's what God has called me to write and in doing so, have reached lost souls for Christ.

Regarding Imagination quotes, I humbly share one from my novel, 'Legend of the Emeald Rose.' "Legend begins where truth ends...or is it the other way around?"

Alisa, thanks for reminding me that the most supernatural and imaginative being is our Lord Jesus Christ. May He continue to bless your ministry and your beautiful Imagination!

In His Grip,
Linda Wichman

Truth inspires legend. Legend inspires!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Scrambled Dregs said...

Cool plan. I'll keep my eye out for quotes on imagination. I imagine C.S. Lewis would have had a few.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home