This Page

has been moved to new address

Get Out the Way!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Get Out the Way!

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

August 10, 2009

Get Out the Way!

Boy Lessons - Part 1

Above is the very discontented face of my middle child and second boy, Levi. He is not happy at all. On this day we just finished dropping off his older brother, Isaac, at VBS. Levi kept yelling, "Turn around, Mamma! Turn around!" He did not want to be without his older brother.

I decided that this small separation (3 hours) would be good for both kids, so I went on with my day like usual. I never realized how crazy those few hours would be without my oldest child!

Levi did not know how to behave without his brother. He was like a little ship without a map. Even though Levi has a lot of energy, I've never had too many discipline problems with him. He always seems to toe the line pretty well. I never realized that the reason for this was that he has an older brother to direct him. With out his brother, Levi was lost!

I took Levi to the store, and the boy would not listen to me. He was running around like a spastic chicken! One of the store attendants even had to tell him to climb down from the shelving. I was trying to look at curtains, and the little stinker was up on a shelf in 10 seconds flat. Half the time spent at the store was looking for Levi and the other half was spent running after him. It was exhausting, especially with a 5 month old baby girl strapped into a Bjorn on my chest.

When I finally got both kids into the car, I sat in the driver's seat for a moment to cool down. "What the heck was that all about, God?" I thought.

I felt God urging me to see something, so I tried to focus on the experience. Then I remembered a friend talking about how she wished her husband was the spiritual leader of the home instead of her. I remember thinking during that conversation that my friend was so aggressive about her beliefs that it would be hard for anyone to lead her.

Then I felt God say, "Sometimes you must get out of the way!"

Many times we want our husbands, kids, siblings, parents, friends, etc. to be spiritual leaders, but they don't because they are so used to us directing them. Why should they hone their spiritual leadership skills when they know we'll just do everything for them? Sometimes the best thing we can do for the ones we love is Get Out the Way!

And, yes, they may flounder a bit, just like my son, Levi, did at the store; but eventually they'll get it. Many times we are not patient with the ones we love. We don't allow them to make mistakes, and we eventually pull the reigns back from them. But we can't do that! We must allow them to find their stride, just like we had to find ours!

So who do you need to Get Out the Way for in your life? Pray for God to help you, especially if you are a perfectionist, type-A personality. God will help you empower those around you to be the spiritual leaders they were designed to be. Don't hinder them by doing it all for them. Be hopeful that God is a better leader and teacher than you!

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us" (Romans 5.5).
Boy Lessons - Part 2: Invincible in Love
Boy Lessons - Part 3: Abiding

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

You hit the nail on the head, and topped it off with a great verse. With the Holy Spirit in us - IN US! - we can do this thing.

(P.S. -- I'm a type-A girl... so this really strikes a chord.)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Although I have no children this spoke to my heart, Alisa Hope. Trying to fix everything and everyone ... I know just the person! I am moving out of the way! Thanks.
In His Tender Care, ~ linda

8:53 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

"Be hopeful that God is a better leader and teacher than you!"

This made me smile even as I recognized the truth in it. If God was anything like me he'd have thrown his hands in the air and called his own name many times...

Thanks for sharing. BTW, love that photo of your son. He is so cute in his discontent:)

11:07 PM  
Blogger Canadian Bird said...

Total type-A here too... I know I'm always trying to control everything. I guess that just comes with being the self-sufficient me (though not by choice :()
Thanks for this insight... of course He'd do things much better in me, with me & for me if I'd just let Him... whether by my own hand, or allowing someone else to do it. Thanks Al! xo
P.S. LOVE the "spastic chicken" descriptor... made me chuckle!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

Love it! So true! I especially love the pic of Levi! Cute!!!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Alisa,
I remember when God gently and lovingly said to me, "When are you going to get out of the way and let me grow your husband into the man I have made him to be?"

OUCH....

It was a wake-up call. I'm glad He awakened me!

Great post!

Thanks for your kind words at the Cafe' about my devotional. You've blessed me. I've enjoyed my visit here. It's nice to meet you!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, just started reading your blog and I think it's great. I can't wait to keep reading. Thanks!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This so blatantly obvious that it's brilliant. I tend to be one of those aggressive, stand-in-the-gap people, and I've rarely, if ever, considered how my leadership could be stunting the leadership abilities of others. Thanks so much for a well-timed post!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

That is so good, to get out of the way. Your blog is great but did you grow a lot of followers since I was here? Great for you.
Kim

2:22 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Well this topic really spoke to me...I tend to like to "help things along" too often so I really needed to be reminded to get out of the way...

I remember those days of shopping, or trying to shop, with 3 little boys...they are all grown now... *sigh*....

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home