This Page

has been moved to new address

Do Not Claim Ownership!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Do Not Claim Ownership!

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

July 14, 2009

Do Not Claim Ownership!

The Enemy hands out temptations every chance he gets. He and his cohorts have stacks and stacks of them. They stand on street corners and force them into the hands of anyone who walks by. Sometime the temptations are carefully planned, but many times they're just thrown out in droves in hopes that they'll eventually be picked up.

The sad thing is that many Christians feel obliged to take them. They see the temptation staring them in the face and have no clue what to do with it, so they quickly grab it and tuck it away in their hearts before anyone sees. They feel ashamed that such a temptation was ever offered them, like it's their fault the Enemy wants to see them fall. I've done this so many times. I'm embarrassed by a temptation that's being handed me, so I quickly take it and hide it inside. I feel that if I were somehow a better person or if I were closer to God that the Enemy wouldn't have access. Though I usually never do anything with the temptation, I still feel guilty. That guilt trips me up and distracts me from the beautiful things God is doing in my life.

I'm sure the Enemy hopes that the temptation will linger and grow roots, but he's satisfied with our guilty feelings. If we're constantly feeling guilty, we're not going to be very confident Christians. And if we're not confident Christians, it will be hard to be a Christ-like example to this world.

I finally read something that was so simple and obvious, but I just never applied it to my life: "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil" (Matt 4.1). The perfect son of God was tempted, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Satan attacked Jesus with EVERYTHING in his arsenal. So whatever small or outrageous temptation we are given, Jesus was probably given it too. And please note that the "Spirit" led Jesus into the desert to be tempted. That's an entirely different topic, but Bible does say that God tests the hearts of His children: "The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the hearts" (Proverbs 17.3).

I bet Jesus was tempted a lot -- much more than what is documented in the Bible. Satan pumps up his attacks against anyone who is serving the Kingdom of God, and Jesus is the supreme servant. But, Jesus never took ownership of those temptations. He rebuked them, and He never felt guilt over them. How could He? He is the perfect son of God. Jesus has no reason to feel guilt.

Now when I walk down the street and those temptations are being thrust at me left and right, I'm going to give them to God. They have no power over me. In fact, God promises to never let us face temptation that we are unable to claim victory over. I will also search my heart for temptations that I've surrounded with guilt and tucked away. I'm going to expose them to God too, so they will no longer have any control over my life. God gives me a choice of what I claim ownership. Forget the temptations and guilt! I'll take more blessings and peace, please!

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live. - Deuteronomy 30.19


Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I enjoyed this...victory over temptations...I totally needed this tonight....

10:04 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree. I am going to follow you and refuse my temptations and replace them with more of God.
Amy

6:50 AM  
Blogger Suzann said...

This is awesome and I'm so glad that I have been blessed to have read it this morning. Thank you.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

Once again you have tugged at my heart strings!!!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sierra said...

Only God can get us through the temptations, unfortunately there are so many these days! The internet, promiscuous clothing, friends getting in the wrong part of life, and more...Whenever I feel tempted I pray to God and He always delivers because I am certainly not strong enough. Thank you so much for this post and Bible verse! :) I enjoy going to your blog for a break from the fashion, one can be too consumed sometimes, yet another temptation...

6:21 PM  
Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Quick note of thanks for visiting my blog. I plan to stop by for a read soon. Going to lake now.

Hugs,

Tiffany

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

You do not know how I needed this post. I have had the strangest attack from Satan lately, that it does get crazy. Thanks for the encouragement. Also for reading my blog and commenting.
Kim

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Taylor said...

I've never thought of temptations like that. Great post!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Yes! Amen to this, Alisa!

What a powerful post. What you say about Jesus being tempted really hit me, especially this:

"Satan pumps up his attacks against anyone who is serving the Kingdom of God, and Jesus is the supreme servant."

Good point, Alisa. And with the Spirit of Jesus living in us, we too can rebuke those attacks!

Thanks for this post.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Searching for God in the everyday said...

Yes! Thank you for this truth. Your words are encouraging, convicting and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your insights...
Cory =)

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by (a little later then the others) to give you a big welcome to the SITStahood. We are so glad you joined and look forward to seeing you around.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home