This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: The Lead Vocalist

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: The Lead Vocalist

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

June 8, 2011

Internet Cafe: The Lead Vocalist


I met her at the first writers’ group that I held at my house about five years ago. She was an amazing woman of God surrounded by grace and humility. She dedicated her heart to writing devotionals for my ministry and several months later, God called her to be the Women’s Minister at my church. I was honored and blessed to be under her leadership.

Along with being a writer, women’s minister and church staff member, she also sang onstage with our church band. I would watch her sing and become irritated. I couldn’t hear my friend’s voice! She would only sing back-up, and I, not being musically inclined, couldn’t distinguish her from the others. I told her my frustrations about not being able to hear her, but she was content to use her voice to support the lead vocalist.

One Sunday morning my friend wasn’t singing, and I finally heard it: her voice was missing! Although I couldn’t discern her voice, I could definitely tell when it was absent.

I saw her the following week and exclaimed, “I heard it!”

“What?” She asked.

“The lack of your voice!” I yelled excitedly.

She looked at me for a moment puzzled, but then she smiled with understanding. In a small way, I finally felt like I could appreciate her singing talent.

This past Sunday morning, God had a very special gift in store for me. After five years, I finally heard my friend’s voice. She sang lead vocals, and I bawled. All my makeup was off my face before the pastor even said one word. I listened to my friend sing, and I thanked God for the amazing ways He shows Himself to me. What a beautiful sight she was singing for her mighty God! Her voice is forever imprinted on my heart.

As I reflect on that morning, I know that many people have trouble hearing God’s voice. They recognize when it’s missing, but they have never heard Him speak so powerfully that there was no doubt the words were from God. I once struggled with hearing God’s voice, and I worried whether or not I was listening to the wrong one.

But something changed. I now hear God’s voice loud and clear. He speaks to me through the Bible, the Holy Spirit and other Christians. He engulfs me with His presence, and He whispers to my spirit. What’s different? Why has it become so easy to distinguish His voice? The answer is simple. When I put God center stage, He became the Lead Vocalist singing into my life. All that I am stays focused on God, and I’ve learned to discern His voice.


“God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our
understanding” (Job 37.5 NIV).


You can also read this article at the Internet Cafe!


Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Amazing.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful analogy. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This is a good story of your friends voice. It is great to hear God's voice! I love the analogy

1:13 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

What a beautiful compliment to your friend. Love the analogy of God being the lead vocalist.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

I love hearing His voice - letting Him have to lead. It is a journey - this learning to listen to the little sounds and big sounds. I think my next Year of. . . will be The Year of Listening. I keep hearing that over and over again.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You found her voice and it sounds like she did too. Just last night, a friend of mine discussed with me how certain events allow God to come into the picture and make something good happen. This story truly reveals the everpresent nature of The Good Lord! I enjoyed it very much!!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Patti Hanan said...

I love hearing God's voice. He speaks in many different ways. I love how Jesus said, "my sheep hear my voice." Thank you for this beautiful post.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Judy Gillis a.k.a Lazarus said...

It's true - sometimes it takes the lack of something to know where it is and how to recognize it when it comes back. Thanks for this great metaphor!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Beautiful analogy! I love the scriptures that speak of The Voice of GOD...thunderings...whisperings... blessed are those who hear...and obey

2:46 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Beautiful sharing. God, centre stage. What an awesome reminder to keep Him where he rightly belongs. Thank you :)
Bessings
Dorothy

6:31 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I just loved this one, Alisa. What a wonderful story about your friend. And I so appreciated the image of God as the Lead Vocalist! Lately I have heard His voice clearly in certain situations - and it's so special that I'm begging Him to keep on talking!

I want to be like Samuel - when God speaks, I want to answer, "Here I am, Lord..."

GOD BLESS!

12:45 AM  
Blogger . said...

Hey Alisa.. It was so nice to see you joined http://heartofthehome-blog.blogspot.com/ as a follower,
like yourself..Missy and I are looking forward to what God has in store for us as women as a his daughters.. we are excited to reach out to women all over and offer encouragement though his word..

We are looking forward to getting to become Blogging Buddies with you and of course sisters in christ.. have a blessed day

7:22 AM  
Blogger Cindy Bultema said...

Your words never cease to bring me to tears, dear Alisa! Love your very beautiful, powerful visual of God being the Lead Vocalist. He is so awesome, isn't He?!
Keep sharing your voice, my sweet sister! You are making a Kingdom difference!
Love to you~
Cindy :)

12:51 PM  
Blogger LittleWomen21 said...

What an amazing post about recognizing something when its missing... and then hearing the Lord's voice clearly when we put Him center stage in our lives. So true! I need to get my focus back on that center stage.

1:35 PM  
Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Alisa -

I so loved this piece's message about the voice of GOD.

In particular, my spirit juices were stirred by this that you expressed, "When I put God center stage, He became the Lead Vocalist singing into my life. All that I am stays focused on God, and I’ve learned to discern His voice."

You expressed that so well...
"God center stage..." I love that, Alisa.

I know what you mean because that is what happened to me...now I know His voice, as well.

Thank you so much for sharing this deeply meaningful piece.

It certainly gave me encouragement, as well as confirmation.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home