This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: Analytically Overweight

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: Analytically Overweight

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

May 5, 2011

Internet Cafe: Analytically Overweight

I get overwhelmed sometimes with all that God teaches me through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit uses relationships, memories and situations to show me spiritual truths. Many times, though, I feel like I can’t keep up. I analyze my experience, pull out the truth and then try to digest the surrounding situation. I’m still trying to understand stuff from years past, but I’m realizing that I’ll never fully be able to stack all of my life experiences in neat, organized rows into my subconscious.

A couple of days ago, I found myself pulling a spiritual truth from a relationship. I understood what God was teaching me, and I appreciated the insight that I had been given; however, I still couldn’t wrap my brain around the situation, and to be honest, I didn’t want to think about it anymore. I started to see that there was no end to my spiraling condition of over-thinking, and I was upset at God for making spiritual insight so grueling to gather.

I told God, “If you want me to analyze everything I encounter in this life, I’m going to be thinking a very long time.” I truly feared that the joy and peace I’ve finally found in Christ would be squeezed out by my constant desire to gain understanding and grow in wisdom.

God told me, “Take the seed; toss the rest.”

Right then, I had an image of me pulling out spiritual truths from every direction and tossing the rest of the circumstance out the window. God uses our life experiences to grow us, but He doesn’t expect us to understand it all. In fact, I pictured myself being analytically overweight from thinking so much about everything, and spiritually inactive because I was too busy digesting it all. How could I possibly be an effective witness for Christ if I was constantly trying to organize and spiritualize every aspect of my life?

God does use our circumstances to teach us, but He never said that we would understand all the ins and outs of our lives on this world. People bump into each other every day, and there is no telling why things happen as they do. All we can do is look for the spiritual insight that God wants us to gain and toss the rest at the foot of the cross.

Life is too short to try to eat and digest every twist and turn of our journey. God wants us to gain understanding and grow in wisdom, but He also wants us to enjoy life, keep our eyes focused on Him and our feet moving toward heaven. From now on, I’m determined to look for a seed of understanding or a gem of wisdom, and let God deal with the rest.

Questions: Is there a situation that you have been over analyzing? What does God want you to learn, and what does He want you to leave at the cross?

“Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold” (Proverbs 3.13-14 NIV).


You can also read this at the Internet Cafe!

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Shanda said...

I love this. One of my aims in life is to pull out a life application from every event, and to see God everywhere. Now that I don't have children at home to inspire, I try to use my blog to 'pull out the seeds'.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

i can relate. I analyze everything too.

I'm headed over to Internet Cafe to read the rest!

Blessings,
Krista

10:32 AM  
Blogger Rebecca-Joy said...

I love this! Wonderful insight. Thanks for sharing.
In Christ,
Rebecca

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I know I analyze too much, but it is a teaching tool also. Lessons from God?

3:18 PM  
Blogger Missie said...

i can so relate!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I'm loving what I just read. I too am an over-thinker. I have been accused of it as though it were a bad thing so many times, that I started to believe that about myself. I love the idea of taking the seed and tossing the rest! I started blogging as therapy and I have discovered that God actually uses us "over thinkers" to inspire others. Looking forward to reading more!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to overthink things but now my life is so full.. I don't have time to over think.. and it really is much better

7:34 PM  
Blogger The Unknowngnome said...

We only need a mustard seed.
:)

2:27 AM  
Blogger Tyrean Martinson said...

Great post! Just what I needed to read this morning. I have a tendency to over-analyze as well.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

"Life is too short to try to eat and digest every twist and turn of our journey. "

Great post! I really needed to read this today...

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had to work to no obsessively think. Now, thinking doesn't necessarily make you brilliant - and over-thinking can be like a fuse that bursts and burns out. I have had to learn to shut off my brain, turn away thoughts, go down other idea paths - sometimes, it's almost like, "Does an idea need a password to get through?" Or a seive to let the dirt wash through, leaving the berries?

I love how you say we can throw away the experience and keep the seed. Totally love that. It's a liberating idea!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Oh dear, Alisa - this really touched home. I am the queen of analyzing. And I get quite distressed when I can't package my feelings, or file my thoughts, or slot all my experiences into neat little cubbies.

So, I loved your words of wisdom.

I have one situation in my family right now that I'm grappling with - trying to understand all the in's and out's - and I'm exhausted.

I'm taking your word - and here's the seed I think God wants me to hold on to:

"I'm in control, and I love you. Everything I do is good, whether or not you can understand it. Just let it be. Just let Me be Me..."

OK, I think maybe I can do that!!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day - and pass on my best wishes to your sister, too!!

GOD BLESS!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

Well said Lisa, I am learning and re-learning to lay some things down and trust God with the rest. It is a good and peaceful place to be:)

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Alex Marestaing said...

I can totally relate to this. Sometimes I overanalyze things, when all God wants is for me to enjoy the life he gave me and just turn my mental switches off. Like He says in Matthew: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself" Sometimes, it's okay to leave the gray to him.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So true! My CPA of many years is also a Pastor and he says that where we get into trouble is going back to the Cross and picking back up what we left there in the first place.

Have a nice weekend!

6:56 PM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

Oh, Alisa!! You're not alone! I'm not alone! Thank you for putting into words what I could not.

I too have become overwhelmed by all the learning, and am up against this.

'take the seed and toss the rest' is a huge challenge to an analytical person, but the cost of being distracted is too great. I want to get this.

Thanks for sharing :)

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Research Paper said...

That is quiet an inspiring post.. Thanks for sharing...well karen quote is nice..

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home