This Page

has been moved to new address

Face to Face

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Face to Face

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

January 2, 2011

Face to Face

Moses is exhausted. He is the only person diligently seeking God in the entire, nomadic nation of Israel. He finally cries out to God, "I can't carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy! If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me the misery!" (Numbers 11.14-15 NLT).

I smile when I read this because Moses' humility is so apparent. Many times pride steals our willingness to seek help. But not Moses -- he was overwhelmed, and he let it be known. He was the single intercessor between God and the Chosen People, and he knew he had reached the end of his capability.

God does something amazing for Moses that demonstrates His divine grace. He takes some of His Spirit that He has placed on Moses and puts it on 70 Elders of Israel. It is obvious that these leaders didn't receive this Spirit by their own efforts. Two of the men who hadn't bother to show up to the anointing meeting received the Spirit as well. They disobeyed direct orders, yet God gave them His Spirit.

Moses' apprentice, Joshua, is at the anointing meeting, and he has never seen anybody but Moses prophesy (speak God's will) in the Spirit. He becomes very upset, and he pleads with his teacher, "Moses, my master, make them stop!" Joshua has been learning from Moses for a while, and I'm sure he feels jilted. How could these men receive for free what he has been working for all of his life? Joshua experiences first hand the beauty of grace: a gift not based on the receiver, but on the Giver.

Moses' humility is displayed yet again when he looks at his young assistant and says, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish all the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit upon them all!" (Numbers 11.29 NLT) (emphasis added)

Moses is a shadow of Jesus. Jesus is our intercessor, and God gives us His Spirit because of His love for us and the sacrifice that Jesus made for our mistakes. Jesus wants His sacrifice to spill God's anointing on every person. I'm sure Jesus repeats Moses' words, "I wish all the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit upon them all!"

A prophet is a person who hears from God, who sits with God, who sees God face to face and who communicates God's will. Yes, the gifting of prophecy can manifests in other ways, but the visions, dreams and riddles are merely outward signs of an inward discipline -- seeking God. All Christians are called to sit with God, seek His will and tell others about His glory. At salvation we were gifted with spiritual ears that hear God's voice. But are we using them?

Are we filling our lives with the world or with Him? If we want the fullness of God's Spirit moving in our lives, we have to make room for Him. If we want to discern His voice, we have to listen to and recognize it. If we want to tell the world about Christ, we have to seek Him every day and read His Word. We are honored with the power to communicate with God at any time. He waiting for us. We just need to sit and talk with Him -- face to face!

Question: What can you sacrifice or submit to this year to make room for God? What have you heard from God today?

And the Lord said to them, “Now listen to what I say:
“If there were prophets among you,
I, the Lord, would reveal myself in visions.
I would speak to them in dreams.
But not with my servant Moses.
Of all my house, he is the one I trust.
I speak to him face to face,
clearly, and not in riddles!
He sees the Lord as he is.
So why were you not afraid
to criticize my servant Moses?”

- Numbers 12.6-8 NLT (emphasis added)


Labels: , , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Shell said...

Amen Alisa! AMEN!

We are all called to seek God's face DAILY, not just when we get ourselves in a bind and need some help.

May we all honor God with our time, energy, money...our everything with what is considered valuable in His eyes and not ours.

Bless you dear sister!
Sunny

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Renee Ann said...

God pointed out some time wasters He wants me to eliminate so I'll be able to focus on Him and His tasks for me. Once I'd given them over to Him, I found I didn't miss them at all in my day. He fills every void! . . . Thanks for this post. Blessings!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Joel B. Curry, D.Min. said...

Well said. Thank you.

6:59 PM  
Blogger The Unknowngnome said...

Alisa, I pray that this new year finds you filled with strength for the carrying of your own load and the humility of will to seek help when you're feeling overwhelmed.

What have I heard from God today?

I heard you.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Happy New Year Alisa! Great post. I know that this year I need to spend more time in His presence.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Alisa. Always thought-provoking posts here that speak to my heart! Amen!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Alisa, there was just so much great stuff in this post that I don't know where to start!

I'll make two comments - We have been blessed by the same Spirit that those men in the OT were looking for, asking for. We have ALREADY received Him! Why are we not availing ourselves of His power, His strength, His guidance? Why do we take Him for granted? I agree with you - we (that would be me!) must dedicate ourselves to seeking God, like miners looking for gold -

Second of all, to answer your question - To be truthful, I think the one thing I need to sacrifice to make room for God is my need to have the approval of people. Writing is such a personal thing that I hold it tight, needing others to validate it. This year I want to submit my words to God's purposes more fully. To listen to Him, write what I hear, and LET IT GO!

What a great statement from Numbers: "He sees the Lord as he is." That's what I want in 2011!

GOD BLESS!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kristen Torres-Toro said...

What an incredible thing, that we can meet with Him face to face!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

Ah, you've confirmed some direction I've been getting. Thank you. :)

Blessings,
Susan

8:49 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I am so thankful that you shared about Moses! I feel overwhelmed now also. I am not trying to lead a nation though :)
kim

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jennie Allen said...

This is exactly the question I have felt. For me it has to be connection.. connection to my phone, internet, fb, and so on. I want to focus on my connection with the people in front of me and my God.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Face to Face, no riddles - I'd like that! I am making that effort, reaching, spending that time - reaching!

I liked how you talked about the Holy Spirit and the reaction surrounding those who were speaking in the spirit! I thank God for His Holy Spirit daily! It's like the caffeine in my relationship with the Father and the Son!

Happy New Year!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Sherrie said...

Alisa, I hope the doorway of 2011 opens a flood gate of blessings for you and your family. Thank you for showing us a loving caring God. This reminds me of the passage regarding the selection of King Saul. God knew the people were making a poor choice and yet God gifted Saul with everything. The Spirit was among those gifts.
What a patient Father we have.
In His hands-
Sherrie

2:31 AM  
Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Alisa -

I love this piece, especially the emphasis on "face to face." It is so wondrous to be with our Lord in such ways. I love that communion between Moses and GOD. There is such intimacy evident there.

Thank you, Alisa, for this rich reminder.

Sidebar: You may be inclined to read my post that I placed on Saturday New Years Day titled, "SOCIAL NETWORKING SCENES."

8:54 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Wonderful post! I am always blessed when I stop by here and today was no different. I have ushered in the new year with a terrible respiratory bug. I am soaking in HIS presence as I seek HIS healing!

Blessings,
andrea

2:10 PM  
Blogger Just Be Real said...

I need to read the O.T. more often. Well put together post. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Oh Alisa, this writing...you have no idea the far reaching impact and blessing of this confirming word...thank you for being obedient to the message dear friend.

7:34 PM  
Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Alisa -

I wanted to share with you that after I read your reference to Numbers 11, I read it this a.m. and got a sure good read from it, indeed.

Thank you, Alisa, for sharing this.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Amydeanne said...

wow Alisa, what a powerful devotion for the start of the year! Thanks for the encouragment, just what I needed today!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a good reminder - to seek Him face to face! Thanks for your good words!

Hope you are doing well, and Happy New Year!

Blessings,
Melanie

2:03 PM  
Blogger Shauna Renee' said...

Powerful words, my friend. So appropriate for the times.

May you and your family have many blessings in 2011.

Shauna

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home