This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: Beautiful Lack

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: Beautiful Lack

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

November 1, 2010

Internet Cafe: Beautiful Lack


I finally purged my closet.

It felt so good. I can’t believe the piles of clothes, shoes and accessories that came out of that small space. At the end of my four hour purge, I had three piles of trash and four piles of giveaway stuff. I looked at the mess in my room, and I knew all that unnecessary stuff had made getting dressed difficult and confusing every morning.

I got rid of old college t-shirts, clothes I bought on sale but never wore, shoes that were trendy but hurt my feet, belts and scarves that haven’t been touched in years, and work clothes that I no longer needed. Every time I held an item in my hand and thought, “Well, maybe someday I’ll wear it,” I would throw it in a pile. If I’m not wearing it now, I will never wear it!

Once I cleaned out my closet, I discovered several nice pieces that I had forgotten about. They were pressed between clothes I usually ignored, so I never saw them. Also, there was now a ton of space in my closet, and it felt good to know that I was gaining control over my wardrobe. Style has never been my forte, but I’m beginning to learn that a few “perfect” items are better than a truck-load of “okay” items.

With all that empty space, I began to get excited. Yes, I had very few clothes now, but I didn’t see it as a lack – I saw it as an opportunity! I was determined to slowly fill the emptiness with clothes that fit my body type, lifestyle and personal taste. No longer would I cram stuff into my closet that obviously didn’t belong there.

As I stared at my completed work, God said, “Isn’t lack beautiful?”

I instantly knew what God was referring to. He had purged my life of everything that was “okay.” I can remember every instance when He told me to throw something out or give something over to someone else. I felt insecure because I feared people’s opinions of me. Would they think I was being lazy? Would they think I wasn’t doing enough for God? Would they somehow think I was living in rebellion?

First of all, I know that I shouldn’t put other people’s opinions over God’s because that is idolatry. Second of all, I finally discovered what God was doing when He cleaned out my life. He was getting rid of everything unnecessary because He was about to fill my life with perfectly tailored pieces of my destiny. I was in a beautiful lack, and I became excited about what God was about to do.

Have you ever been in a beautiful lack? Does God want to purge your life of all the distractions that pull you away from your purpose? Will you allow God to trash all the “okay” things that confuse your calling? Don’t worry about what other people think about the purge – they’ll understand when they see you walking out in an amazing wardrobe tailored to your life. Hopefully, they’ll learn from your example and do a little life-cleaning themselves.

You can also read this devotional over at Internet Cafe!

Labels: , , , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Pickel said...

I need to do the same thing - SO BAD!!! Ahh...it's just never any fun! And I'm the same way - "well maybe one day I'll want to wear that!"

10:40 AM  
Blogger Leah Adams said...

It does feel so good to do a thorough closet purging, doesn't it. I try to do it at least twice a year. If I haven't worn a piece in a year, I'm probably not going to and someone who needs it can wear it.

Great post.

Leah

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

OK, you have convicted me to do a "garage purging!!"

We really do allow our lives to be overwhelmed sometimes with so much "stuff." We end up being owned by our possessions.

God said, "Isn't lack beautiful?" Oh yes, it is. Especially when I come to Him with my spiritual lack, and He fills up my heart with His love and blessings!

GOD BLESS!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Walk In Truth said...

Hi Alisa,
I'm seeing the closet as my heart, and although I am aware it often has much clutter, it is not until I spend time with God, asking Him to rid me of myself, that I can see what I have to let go of. I agree, that the less we have, the more we have of Him. (I hope this makes sense :o)
God bless your day,
Michele Katherine

4:39 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

It is indeed beautiful! Our beautiful lack supplies another's true lack. The verses GOD has used with me are Proverbs 3:27-28

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.

Do not say to your neighbor,'Go, and come back, and tomorrow I will give it.'"

6:27 PM  
Blogger Gaia said...

Oh yes... I did that several weeks ago, I am so happy with the results. My wardrobe is clear, I could find stuff and not get frustrated going through the piles. I want a wardrobe change too, slow and steady. Hoping for a new makeover. :)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

There is nothing as refreshing as cleaning out the closets of our hearts, minds, and souls; so God can refill it the way HE see fit. I always say if you are not empty, God can not refill you. Great post Alisa.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

Alisa, great devotional. I've found that my physical environment is very often a reflection of my inner state.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes, agree that your environment does reflect the inner...Agree we need to let God, get to our closets!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I think that kind of purging and simplicity is always so great in any area of our lives. Congrats!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Just Be Real said...

Great post with a message for my heart. Thanks for sharing.

5:27 PM  
Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Alisa -

There is a great lesson in this message. I love it.

Thank you, Alisa, for perspective, for sure!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Together We Save said...

I really need to do this!! Thanks for the motivation!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Connie Arnold said...

Thanks for sharing the great post, Alisa. Reminds me that I need to do more of this in my own closet and in my life!

6:21 PM  
Blogger vonimoller said...

I recently lost two people in my life by decision not death lol and i found myself asking God why do you want me to be alone God? Not cool... And i didn't talk to God for like a day or two until i realised in the shower how good i feel and how i dont have this negative cloud hanging over me...
I THEN realised why God asked me to let go so apologised and all that!!
Quite amazing what cleaning does

7:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie Allen said...

Less is more. All the holes make us need Him- thanks for this.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

"Isn’t lack beautiful"

Love this post especially that line Alisa. It wonderful how when we make room God fills our lives with so much moe. Yes, lack is indeed beautiful.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

This is a great post Alisa. I could not help but smiling at the truth in your words. Simpler lives are almost always easier. I want to have the things in my life which God wants to be there. Want for other things is just distracting. There is a real freedom in letting go of the "extra" stuff in life. Well done Alisa.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Alisa! This is so awesome..."they'll understand when they see you walking out in an amazing wardrobe tailored to your life." And by the way Alisa, I'm learning from your example which inspires me to desire for beautiful lack so that I can have the couture wardrobe for my life designed by The Great I Am! Love you Alisa! Teresa

3:55 PM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

Oooh. POW again! What a fantastic truth. ... the cleaning / purging will, I suspect, continue until heaven. I got alot of letting go to do :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

7:26 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Alisa...How could you know that I was just doing the same thing with my closet. Actually dragging out the winter stuff and packing away the spring/summer. . .and putting things into the "give away" pile. But even more so--I'm in one of the biggest cleaning/purging times in my life. In fact, piano, music--that's what most people who know me "think that I am." However, now that I'm back in school, I do get some comments about me "not being more into the musical aspect" of life. For a while this caused such a state of confusion.. Seriously...but I'm having to see things like you said here today~ not worry about what others think or say...and just keep on going, even in this HUGE TIME OF LACKNESS! Thanks so much. Please pray for me if the Lord ever reminds you of me. Thanks again~you've given me hope that this confusing time of "lack" is about preparing the way for something more tailor-made!
Sincerely!
Tammi :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

We had to move from our four floor house two years ago, into one room initially (!), so that my husband could trian at college for ministry.
It was so good for us materially, and already I see we're beginning to collect 'stuff' again because we're more settled again.
Thank you for your clearance inspiration and for sharing God's guidance to you.

www.trulygoodwoman.blogspot.com

7:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Great post Alisa!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Sherrie said...

Are you talking to me about this closet thing? The Pioneer Woman is clearing out her closet too. HHHMMM, junk keepers unite! Naw, no room! Alright before I am featured on the next episode of hoarders I will quit kicking....How much is a storage shed?

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Alex Marestaing said...

That is such a good point. I always feel so much better with a clean house, clean garage, clean schedule. To look at closed doors in our lives as simply distractions that have been taken out of the way is an awesome idea. Have a great weekend Alisa!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is very timely with the approaching Holidays, Alisa. I have donated similarly to Girls & Boys Club and Goodwill. I felt cleansed of stuff I once thought I needed. :)

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home