This Page

has been moved to new address

A Father's Hidden Glory

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: A Father's Hidden Glory

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

April 16, 2011

A Father's Hidden Glory


Why were humans created clothed in flesh? The angels weren't. They were born directly into the glory and wonders of God. The flesh does force us to build and use our faith, but what is so important about faith? I believe faith gives us the Father. Let me explain.

Billy Graham in his book, Angels, writes that "God is not called 'Father' by the holy angels because, not having sinned, they need not be redeemed." I wondered, Why can't the angels call God Father? What about the flesh and our faith makes the difference?

The flesh covers the glory of God. Yes, we can see manifestations of it here on this earth; however, they are nothing compared to what the angels see. When I read the descriptions of God's glory that is experienced by the angels, I know that I have seen very little of it. I trust that His glory is amazing, but I must have faith. I have not seen heaven yet.

Why is it so important that we be shielded from God's glory? What about knowing this glory first as the angels did caused them to lose the ability to experience God as a Father?

Think of the most famous person you know. Now imagine meeting him/her. Would you be nervous? Would you be star-struck? Would you cry tears? Would you have dramatic emotional response even though you don't know him/her personally? Now imagine compounding that emotion and awe by infinity, and you might come close to the reaction you will have when you meet God and His glory.

No matter how your relationship evolves with that famous person, your initial reaction to his/her glory will always affect your intimacy. Your knowledge of that glory will be tightly woven into the conception of your relationship. Because God's glory is cloaked, we are able to see Him as Father first. Because He chose to hide our eyes in flesh and receive redemption through Christ, we can forge an intimate relationship with Him by faith. We get to know His love before we fully know His glory.

I've begged God to show me His glory. I've asked him time and again for Him to reveal His beauty to me. I knew He was shielding me, but I didn't know why. Now I do. He wants me to love Him as a Father, so He lovingly protects me from His glory. My faith is strengthened because I know one day my Father will reveal His glory to me, and I will rejoice from a daughter's heart who knows her Father intimately.

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." - Jesus (John17.1-5 NIV).

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Interesting thoughts.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Paula Greene said...

I LOVE the analogy of experiencing the 'glory' of a famous person and how minute that will be in comparison to experiencing God's glory! Profound! I too want to see His glory, but now I will even more cherish Him as my Father.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love Billy Grahams book about Angels. Always an interesting subject. Thanks for your thoughts too

9:19 AM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

I always pray that God will show me his glory and increase my intimacy with him; I have seen both prayer anwsered in small and big ways:)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Alene said...

Thanks for sharing your precious thoughts. You've got me thinking and pondering. Our God is so magnificent. Love you girl - proud to call you friend!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this! It really made me think.

I see God's glory in His creation -the birds, the sky, the sunrise and sunset. Then I read His word and I'm reminded how much more beautiful He is than the sky at sunset or a perfect rainbow. Those show only a fraction of His glory!

And I can't imagine!

Thank you for sharing this. Loved your photo signing the writing contract. It makes my heart smile knowing how He'll use you (and has already). :)

Love ya!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

We're told that God created us in His image. The same cannot be said of angels. Also, angels minister to God and to us. They deliver messages, they protect, and they carry out God's orders.

Their relationship with God is strikingly different than the one we have with Him. Even before the angels rebelled, they did not have an intimate relationship with God.

If we were to see God's full glory now, it would probably kill us. He gives us glimpses here and there, but for now "we see through a glass darkly."

That's my take on the subject. :)

Blessings,
Susan

6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a positive message for Spring!

6:53 PM  
Blogger SunJane said...

I thought of the first time I met our pastor, and how I wasn't relaxed for months around him. Good perspective for why God would shield this from us, so we could be intimate right off!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Alisa,
I love the way you brought out His glory in this post and the idea that He shields us just so we can love Him more as Father.

Ginger

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not having had a father who loved unconditional on earth (absentee father) - I so look forward to the day when I see my Heavenly Father, who will hug me fiercely as I hug Him fiercely back - in a Father-Daughter Hug that I am living my life for!

Beautiful post Alisa! Kind of made me weepy just thinking about it!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Gigi said...

This is a take on the glory of God that I've never heard before, and it's very good food for thought. I'll be thinking about this for some time.
Thank you for your insights.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

This is an interesting perspective. I've read a book about angels by Renald Showers, and it was eye-opening. Thanks for posting thoughts that will inspire and challenge us. Blessings!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Research Paper said...

Impressive thought... Thanks for updating..

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home