This Page

has been moved to new address

The Obedience Blur

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: The Obedience Blur

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

August 19, 2010

The Obedience Blur

I'm doing a guest post over at Truth and Grace Ministries, founded by Karen Lowe! It's a quick read about the stage of confusion that occurs after a step of obedience but before we find our footing! I hope it encourages you today!

The Obedience Blur

About a year ago, God asked me to stop going to the gym. This was upsetting for me because I have gone to the gym ever since I was a young adult. I love working out, and the gym atmosphere motivates me and ensures that I exercise. I couldn’t understand why God would ask me to take this step of obedience.

Because I no longer had a gym membership, I had to squeeze in my work-outs at home. My four to five times a week exercise routine shortened to two or three days. It became increasingly difficult to find time to exercise with three kids at home. I would beg my husband to watch the kids while I jogged. I would work out on an exercise step outside while the kids played. I would work out while the kids napped or after they went down for the night.

My work-outs began to eat away my writing time, and I struggled with not being able to effectively do both. I couldn’t figure out how to balance my schedule, and I started to feel like I wasn’t able to handle all of my responsibilities.

Finally, I became fed up. I decided I was going to wake up an hour earlier each morning. I already woke up about 30 minutes before my kids so I could do a quiet time, but now I was determined to work-out and spend time with God before my kids came looking for me.

The first day, I dragged myself downstairs and did a work out video. Afterward, I felt so great, and I had an excellent time with God because I was wide awake and filled with energy! By the time my kids were up, I was ready for the day. I didn’t have any bad mommy moments that day because I no longer had an agenda to keep. I wrote while the kids slept, but other than that, I was completely there for them.

What I learned from this experience is that many times our steps of obedience take us into a period of confusion or imbalance. This is normal because we are adjusting to our new situation that the change creates. I think many times we turn away from our obedience because we falsely believe that the transition should have been easy. The fact is that many things we do for God are not easy, but God always has a wonderful purpose.

It took me an entire year to finally adjust to my small step of obedience. And although life still does not play out perfectly each day, I have found the balance that I knew God wanted me to achieve. I’m sure He cheered for me the entire time, and I’m glad that I trusted His will for my life.

What step of obedience has God asked you to take? Have you experienced a time of difficulty because of the changes? How were you able to modify your environment, attitude or obligations to adjust? Did you see God’s purpose in the change?

“Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5.18 NLT).

You can also read this article here!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Great article...Love it always. I need to exercise more!
kim

9:00 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

This is so what I needed to read!!! Alisa, beautiful post of God's testimony through your story of obedience! This is so true, "many times we turn away from our obedience because we falsely believe that the transition should have been easy. The fact is that many things we do for God are not easy, but God always has a wonderful purpose." For me at this time, the nudgings upon my heart were deactivating my facebook and no more coffee! I was like, "WHAT?" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I have been free of both for over a month...I have more time for others and I don't have this dependency to rely on coffee to 'make or break me'. Love this post!
~ Teresa

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your posts tweak my perception on my challenges! As you know, we moved last year away from my support system and community I loved. There are still days I do not feel that balance, but I am finding a peace, carving a niche, trusting God in an uncomfortable environment. It's kind of like when I started jazzercise - and I was wobblying all over the place, but after awhile, my mobility improved and I learned something totally different! Keep Tweeking Alisa! I like it when you say something that God keeps telling me - It's an echo I need to hear:)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E obedience is the very best way to show that you believe...

This post made me smile Alisa even as I said ouch. I don't always obey happily but like you I've found that when God asks me to give up something it's never to hurt me and in the end I'm always better off because of my obedience.

10:06 PM  
Blogger May said...

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. —Philippians 2:12-13

6:01 PM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

The Bible has much to say about our obedience walk. It's so KEY in our Christian lives and at times very difficult. I appreciate this message dear sister.

I pray all is well with you and your family! Glad I was able to stop in.

Hugs!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sherrie said...

Alisa, Thank you for being obedient to our Lord. It is like you were looking over my shoulder. I have been struggling with the very thing. Thank you for being another light along the path.
Thank you for pointing me to God.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home