This Page

has been moved to new address

ST Publication: Measure of a Woman

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: ST Publication: Measure of a Woman

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

July 4, 2010

ST Publication: Measure of a Woman


Below is my article that is published in the Sanctified Together Email & Online Publication's July Issue: Measure of a Woman! We have many beautiful articles written by Christian women who desire to find their measure in God alone.

We will be sending this publication via email one more time next Sunday. If you would like to receive this free publication produced every three months or if you would like to contribute, please sign up to receive updates here.

I welcome you to read the other amazing articles found in our publication here. You can also download and print the publication by going here.


5 Lbs of Grace

I had been avoiding the scale for several weeks, but I finally decided to weigh myself and account for the damage. Yep, I had gained 5 lbs. My weight always fluctuates. I think it enjoys making me mad, happy or sad based on its movements; it likes to show off its control over me.

Normally when I gain weight, I focus all my attention and efforts on the unwanted pounds. I lose all my peace and joy, and every aspect of my daily life is affected. I'm determined to lose the weight at all cost.

As my mind started its downward spiral of negative and distracted thoughts, God told me, "They don't make a difference."

"What?" I asked. I was really tired of this cycle, and I was willing to hear what God had to say.

"Those 5 lbs you are worrying about make absolutely no difference in your life. They don't affect how people see you, they don't affect your health and they don't affect your destiny. They are meaningless."

After God gave me the truth about my 5 lbs, I finally found freedom. I didn't want to waste my energy over a few pounds because I'm busy enough doing things that have purpose. Why would I misuse my time on something that is insignificant? I felt light as a feather, though I was 5 lbs heavier!

In my new found freedom, I got dressed. I didn't even worry about the fact that my jeans were a tad snugger around my waist. Since my mind was freed up to think about more important things, I started focusing on God's promises for me. My thoughts instantly started exploring what I needed to do in order for God to finally fulfill His plan in my life.

God said almost cheekily, "They don't make a difference."

"What?" I asked. If God had more freedom for me, I wanted it.

During my entire adult life, I have struggled with trying to humble myself more, trying to learn more, trying to shed more sin, trying to focus on God more. I've wanted to do everything in my power, so I could prove to God that I was ready to receive His promises. Without knowing it, though, I was basing God's promises on what I was doing.

God said, "Nothing you could ever do would make you deserve the promises that I have for you. My promises will always be too great for you to achieve. I give them freely to you because of who I am and because I love you."

Talk about freedom! All my efforts could never secure God's blessings, so I can quit worrying about proving myself all the time. God blesses me because of what He has done, not what I have done. All I need to do is focus on staying in God's will. If I am in the center of His purpose, God will accomplish His plans for me. I simply need to cooperate with Him.

I also realized that God gives all of us 5 lbs of grace. When you look at an imperfect woman and wonder why she's getting blessed, just remember that she has 5 lbs of grace. And the same goes for you. If you see your imperfections and wonder how God could ever bless you, just remember that God has 5 lbs of grace for you too. All of us make mistakes. None of us deserve God's blessing. I don't care how perfect you are or how perfect you think she is. Our efforts are meaningless compared to God's perfection. We all deserve death if It wasn't for Christ!

Christians can claim God's grace, and that is why we can boldly go to the throne! God has an amazing life for us, and He gives it to us freely. We just have to be available and willing to receive it. Finally, 5 lbs we can all rejoice about!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2.8-9 NIV).

BTW, we are having an author signed book giveaway through the Sanctified Together Publication. To enter the giveaway, all you have to do is leave a comment or email us at sanctifiedtogether@gmail.com.

Labels: , , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger MTJ said...

Hello Alisa,

Thanks for sharing the message of God's grace.

MTJ

2:56 PM  
Blogger May said...

Great info about Measure of a Woman pub. O Lord, I am not worthy to receive them, thank you for your many blessings.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I'm always worrying about those last 5lbs. I think "If I could just lose 5lbs" or I wonder if this makes me look fat?"

Thanks, I needed to read this!

5lbs of grace...now I can live with that.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Thought this was a great post. I linked it from my blog, hope that's OK.

Blessings,

Steve

11:05 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Thought this was a great post. I linked it from my blog, hope that's OK.

Blessings,

Steve

11:05 PM  
Blogger Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love the truth that God blesses me because of what He has done, not what I have done. AMEN!!

2:40 AM  
Blogger Nikki (Sarah) said...

love this 5 lbs of grace... :)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Missie said...

I heard a quote once...God sees us not as who we are now, but who he made us to be.
I love that! He sees us with the 5lbs of grace, the shed sin. Amazing!
Thanks for your words, have a happy Monday!

7:21 AM  
Blogger petrii said...

Alisa,
You are speaking my love language =) 5 lbs. of grace, I so get that. I have had the same struggles that you mention here, and had all the same thoughts rolling around in this head of mine, how refreshing to hear once again, that it is not about me....but all about Him!!

Have a Blessed week,
Dawn

7:43 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

This hit close to home today: "Why would I misuse my time on something that is insignificant? I felt light as a feather, though I was 5 lbs heavier!" Thank you so very much for this wonderful word of encouragement and splendid reminder that God's grace is greater than all my sin! :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Glory to God said...

5 lbs. of grace. So much of this post rings true. Man or woman, this measure of God's grace means everything! Thanks for sharing!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes, 5 lbs is such a good point, I need to remember this lesson. Thanks.
kim

8:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen Sister! Thanks for posting this reminder. :)

Have a great week.

God bless and keep you,
Sonia

9:39 PM  
Blogger Braley Mama said...

Praise the Lord for my 15lbs of grace:O)And for having to do nothing for it. I am so happy that God used you to write this and blessed you with this avenue to spread His love! Way to go sister!!!! HUGS!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a blessing! And, an encourager! The best leaders are those that are not afraid to surround themselves with other talented individuals and give them an opportunity to shine. You have that gift

I have an award for you over at my place. When you have time, come by for a visit and pick it up.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

You have no idea how much this article has helped me. I've been feeling the pressure of weight gain too, but praise God He loves me just as I am!

You girls are doing a great job with 'Sanctified Together'!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Amen, Alisa...great word....

2:51 PM  
Blogger Alene said...

Alisa - So need 5 lbs of grace! Somedays I even feel like I need 10... You bless me always girl, always! Thanks for touching my heart.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Okay, have you secretly hacked into my email?? I was JUST telling a friend the other day about the "5 lbs" I can't seem to lose that are bothering me to no end. You are really good about posting stuff I can relate to. I guess it's a "God thing"!

Have a great day!!

:)
Rachel

3:43 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

You always hit it right on the head, Alisa. Grace. Took me nearly my whole life, but I've finally accepted God's five pds of grace. Freedom, indeed. ;0)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Mia Celeste said...

Yep, it's grace. Thanks for the reminder. :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Smith said...

Love this on both fronts: the physical & the spiritual! I need God's grace in every area of my life & He will give me the ability to do what He's called me to do. Thanks for sharing. You are a blessing!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

5lbs of grace... love this post Alisa.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous DJ at The Quiet Quill said...

Yep. Totally get the fluctuating weight thing. It can become all-consuming too with my thoughts.

I like how you level it with the spiritual reality of grace. Those 5 lbs. really don't mean a thing. They really don't.

Great post. Love your writing.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

I like that - 5 lbs of grace. Actually, he has much more than that for us - the 6 keeps multiplying! Good post.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

So powerful! Thank you so much for being obedient to write this message...5 lbs. of grace! So lovely...your writing is a gift from God!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home