This Page

has been moved to new address

Silence in the Storm

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Silence in the Storm

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

May 12, 2010

Silence in the Storm


During Jesus' day, disciples (students) didn't just go to school and learn from their teachers. They immersed themselves into their teacher's life. They followed their teacher almost every moment of every day. This is true for Jesus' twelve disciples. They were always with Jesus.

They experienced all the miracles first hand that Jesus performed. Each miracle I read, I believe in my heart that it is a historical fact that has been recorded into the Living Word of God. I don't doubt what the Bible says; however, that doesn't mean that I have faith in them. Belief and faith are two totally different claims.

As I was reading in my one-year Bible, I came across another of Jesus' miracles: "Then he stood up and told the wind to be silent, the sea to quiet down: 'Silence!' The sea became smooth as glass" (Matthew 8.26 Message). Jesus and His disciples were floating in the middle of a severe storm. The disciples believed they were drowning, and Jesus was taking a nap on the deck.

After Jesus spoke peace into this middle of this storm, The Message Bible reads in verse 27, "The men [disciples] rubbed their eyes, astonished. "What's going on here? Wind and sea come to heel at his command!"

Just that day Jesus had healed a leper, the Centurion's servant who was not even present, the "inwardly tormented" and the "bodily ill." Why all of a sudden did the disciples rub their eyes? What had changed to cause them to ask, "What's going on here?" They had seen Jesus do miracles. They had belief, but they still lacked faith.

The distinction between belief and faith occurs when the miracle needed becomes personal. It is easy to believe victory over someone else's storm, but it takes faith to claim victory over your own storm. God is teaching me faith because I'm learning to claim victory in my own storms while the waves of life are crashing on me, causing me to want to give-up and drown.

Faith is hard because everywhere I look, all I see is impossibility and hopelessness. I don't see an answer in the physical, but I need to claim God's solution in the spiritual. The storm is causing me to feel pain, worry, mistrust, fear and anger; but I need to take those thoughts captive and claim victory (2 Corinthians 10.5). The physical world is merely a manifestation of what's going on in the spiritual world. If I can shout victory in the spirit by faith, God can take that mustard seed of faith and create the solution (Matthew 17.20)!

What storm are you in the middle of today? A finance storm? A marriage storm? A job storm? A ministry storm? An inward storm? You are the eye of the storm. The storm wouldn't be there if you didn't exist. Don't just believe that God can do a miracle. Have faith that God is producing a miracle from the storm's center -- you. Stand up in faith and allow the Holy Spirit within to claim "Silence" over the storm.


Labels: , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Karen Hammons said...

What a Word!! Wowza. It was something that I totally needed to hear. Thank you so much! :)

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know! I know! I so needed it too! God is good. What more can I say?

8:45 PM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

Good post. I know I've said this before, but there's a lot to think about here. I appreciate your thoughts; have been thinking in these general circles (great minds think alike?:) Love the photo, too.
Blessings,
Karen

9:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! I needed this good word today. :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

"it is easy to believe victory over someone else's storm, but it takes faith to claim vicory over your own storm." Wow...powerful words! I love this picture too.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

I needed that word!!!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I agree with Deborah...that sentence really spoke to my heart...this was a great post, Alisa!

10:44 PM  
Blogger vonimoller said...

i AM following your blog FYI.
Going to read it on my mobile...
look forward to me commenting on practically everything :D hehe

3:04 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Jo said...

Beautifully said!!!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Braley Mama said...

That really spoke to me, or He did thru you:O) Praying for you today!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Wow do I need this silence during the storm, great post
kim

9:37 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Everything you've been writing lately has been hitting me right where I live, Alisa. Thank you for allowing the Spirit to work through you.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

Someone once said, "Minor surgery is what someone else has."

Believing for others and exercising faith for yourself are two different skills. When a loved one broke an ankle, I believed God for their healing. Yet, having faith for my broken elbow meant trusting even though I was in pain and went through surgery and therapy.

Thanks, Alisa. Always a good word here.

Blessings,
Susan :)

2:50 PM  
Blogger My Smart Hands said...

Such relevant words for today!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A good word, my friend. It is easy to believe in all sorts of things but faith is definitely harder. Isn't wonderful God will meet us in the "eye of the storm"...where we are.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Beth Herring said...

Fabulous word here today my friend. I always glean something when I stop in your 'place'. Thank you for your precious, serving and godly heart.

Love,
Beth

11:06 PM  
Blogger Power Up Love said...

"Faith can move mountains!"

Would you please allow me to re post this post at PowerUpLove.com?

I believe that this post would benefit the readers of Power Up Love because as you said, "It is easy to believe victory over someone else's storm, but it takes faith to claim victory over your own storm".

I believe this is a powerful post for a several different reasons. I won't go into all the reasons, but I'll mention a couple of import ones. Number one you brought mentioned examples of miracles Jesus preformed over 2000 years ago and then brought that around into today terms making those miracles personal while providing us with instruction and examples on how to apply them in our daily lives.

In the end you sum it all up very well with another truth and action plan. "You are the eye of the storm. The storm wouldn't be there if you didn't exist. Don't just believe that God can do a miracle. Have faith that God is producing a miracle from the storm's center".

I like that last statement because it reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." -- Jeremiah 29:11-13

10:03 AM  
Blogger Randi Troxell said...

love this.. as always, thank you!

11:02 AM  
Blogger April Gardner said...

Oh Alisa,

What a storm I have raging.

Your posts are always so encouraging. God bless you.

April

3:37 PM  
Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

Excellent post. I'm reading a small commentary now on Matthew by NT Wright - Matthew for everyone. Giving me a new perspective on Matthew. You would really enjoy the book. Shows how Jesus is inaugurating the kingdom that is here NOW, not just sometime in the future. We have a reason for fresh faith today - Jesus' kingdom is already here!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a powerful post, Alisa! It really is easy to have faith for other people's trials.

I praise God that He works through you in this way!

Have a blessed weekend!

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Thank you!
I woke up during the night thinking of a storm that's going on right now. I need to remember God's promises.

I have an award for you on my blog.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Bina said...

"The storm wouldn't be there if you didn't exist."

wow...you struck an arrow into my heart and made my eyes fill up with heart juice, long buried.

thank you.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Nikki (Sarah) said...

wow..great post...really great post..

4:17 PM  
Blogger Bina said...

I couldn't get away from this post...and there was a reason why. Pop on over to my place today to read what He has done with your willingness to write from your heart.

I can't help but love you today...
Bina

2:06 AM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Beautiful and much needed words today Alisa. Thank you for allowing yourself to be used by Him.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Just Be Real said...

Very powerful, thank you for sharing! Blessings.

5:49 PM  
Blogger kanishk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

This truth became so real to me before my mom's healing from cancer! It is so sweet to be reminded. Your writing skills amaze me!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Sierra said...

I loved this post! I already had mentioned that right now my struggle is anxiety, so really for me it is knowing that God can still my heart and be with me during this storm, even when I'm hurting.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

I am listening for the Spirit in the storm.
Thank you.
The High Calling network appreciates you!

All's grace,
Ann

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home