This Page

has been moved to new address

Transitions in the Road

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Transitions in the Road

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

April 28, 2010

Transitions in the Road

My newest devo on GBD Ministry Site. Check out the other new ones here. If you would like to submit, go here!


I had to put my rollerblading on hold for about six years while my husband and I were growing our family. I enjoyed rollerblading a lot in my twenties, and it was so nice to finally be able to strap on my blades and hit the pavement. It took me several days of skating for my body and mind to remember how it was done.

I also noticed that I was a lot more carful skating than when I was in my twenties. I have a lot more responsibilities as a wife, mother and Jesus disciple; and I have people counting on me. Though I know life will go on as usual even if I did get hurt, I wasn’t going to purposely jump into any life-halting accidents.

As I rollerbladed, I was very careful during the transitions in the road. When the sidewalk gave way to the street, there were lots of bumps and rocks on my path. I had to focus my eyes directly on the path in front of me and slow down so I wouldn’t fall. Once I crossed the street and continued back on the sidewalk, I was able to look to the horizon and skate faster. Right before skating through another intersection, I felt the Holy Spirit say, “Be careful during the transitions in the road.”

God knows me so well. I tend to get an idea of God’s vision for me and charge full-steam ahead. However, when my life is in transition, I need to be cautious. I must pray about every detail, because the Enemy puts out many stumbling blocks when he thinks we are not looking. The Enemy doesn’t want us to change. He wants us to fall flat on our faces and give up. Transitions in our spiritual walk are very special. They signify a growth into Christlikeness; however, they are a bit chaotic.

As God entrusts us with more, we need to take great pains to seek God’s will more. As Christian leaders, people are looking to us for guidance. If we see a transition in the road, we need to slow down, stay clear of the bumps and rocks and keep our eyes focused on God.

Memory Verse:
“He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.”
- Proverbs 2.7-8

Prayer Prompt:
“Father, please guide me every day, especially during seasons of transition in my life. I want to continuously cling to You, Lord, so I do not absently fall into the Enemy’s schemes. I know that You will protect me if I stay obedient to Your guidance. And If I do happen to fall, You provide me with grace and mercy to get back up and continue on my path. Reveal to me areas of my life that I haven’t sought out Your will, including…”

Contributing Writer:
Alisa Hope Wagner


Labels: , , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey @ A New Life said...

I love the reminder to constantly seek God's will throughout transition. We are going through MAJOR transition here and have felt the most peace when we just stop worrying, and take a deep breath, and pray for the next minute.

Manna, minute by minute it seems.

Thank you for the encouragement~
Blessings~
Lindsey

8:02 PM  
Blogger WriterMarie said...

This is just perfect. Isn't it funny how when we are doing an activity, we find the spiritual parallel to it? I love when those analogies pop up, they are gifts to us from God to help us better understand life, and Him! :o)

8:03 PM  
Anonymous lorilynn said...

this is my comment i just posted on the granola bar devotional site:
i hope alisa will receive my comments on her post, transition. i thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. it is amazing just doing something that we did 20 years ago is not the same. talk about transition in the body, mind and spirit. it shows how we have matured and gotten wise through all our transitions in life. absolutely keep our focus on our FATHER to protect us in all our transitions. may alisa be embalmed with the LORD's protection for years to come over mountains and valleys

9:39 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

This is a great post! A great reminder! It is so easy to get caught up in our momentum that we don't want to stop and listen anymore.
Thanks for sharing!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen said...

Thanks Alisa...exactly what I needed to hear TODAY!

11:03 PM  
Blogger MTJ said...

Hi Alisa,

I enjoyed reading this post; it was both encouraging and inspiring.

"Transitions in our spiritual walk are very special. They signify a growth into Christlikeness; however, they are a bit chaotic."

I think it's important to understand and appreciate the transitions, recognizing that there will be changes and trusting the Lord in those changes.

Blessings and thanks.

MTJ

6:33 AM  
Blogger Missie said...

I love how He gently guides us through any situation! He is an amazing teacher!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Randi Troxell said...

it always fill me with peacefulness to know that i always have someone.. no matter.. who i can count on!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

Good post. Thank you:)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

Thanks for the wise advice.

When we're transitioning from something familiar to new territory, adjustments require we slow down. We don't always know what's around the next turn.

Blessings,
Susan :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I can barely walk and not fall down. I leave the rollerblading to others!
I love the parallels you drew here.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Beth Herring said...

oh, I am so glad that I am not alone in the transitions that God is ordaining in my life. I just look forward to the next level with much anticipation and like your rollerblading, tend to skate more mindful and more careful these days.

Love to you Alisa,

Beth

6:03 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

What a great analogy! Your blog is very inspiring-keep spreading the Good News!
Thanks for visiting my blog.

9:30 PM  
Blogger christy rose said...

It is so true that transition times seem to be the hardest on us. It is the time when our enemy can create so many distractions and sidetrack us from keeping our gaze on the One that is leading us through to the next chapter in our lives. This was such an exellent post.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, because in those transitions I tend to fight my way through ever striving, never resting, always hoping.
Ginger

2:25 PM  
Blogger INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

What a great post. I am more concerned about getting too comfortable where I am and not seeing the changes the Lord is placing before me. I don't want to miss them. And when the transitions come, I want to stay focused and resist any interference from the enemy. Thank you for giving me something to think about today. God bless.

4:03 PM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

Great message!! Thank you!

Hugs

6:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thank you...My transition period is watching our boys as they prepare to leave the nest. As my heart goes out to them, I also look forward to more individual time with hubby.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I got all teary when I read this, Alisa! For the past couple years I have been in a painful transition time and sometimes it has felt like it is all chaos and "Where is God?"

Your devotion today was a gentle reminder from the Holy Spirit that He is guiding me through all the bends in the road when I lean on Him. Thank you. ;0)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

"I tend to get an idea of God’s vision for me and charge full-steam ahead. However, when my life is in transition, I need to be cautious. I must pray about every detail, because the Enemy puts out many stumbling blocks when he thinks we are not looking..."

Alisa I found so much food for thought in this devotion. Thanks for always sharing your heart with us.

4:29 PM  
Blogger May said...

Award is waiting for you at my place. May you day be filled with peace and happiness.

1:20 PM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

I know I say it all the time, but I'm incredibly grateful that you share your walk. I'm reminded of who God is, what it's like to walk right beside Him, and challenged to never leave His side!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home