This Page

has been moved to new address

Media Meditation: Yoked

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Media Meditation: Yoked

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

March 14, 2010

Media Meditation: Yoked



Download your free Media Meditation handouts for the Get Revived Online Conference! I will be presenting Wednesday March 17 at 10:00am Central Time. The study is also available for download/print by clicking here! Be on the lookout for the second part of the series, Master Meditation, in a couple months!

There are two voices in the world today: The Voice of God and the Voice of the Enemy. The Voice of God can be compared to a soft whisper (1 Kings 19:12). The Voice of the Enemy can be compared to a roaring lion (1 Peter 5:8). Humans are merely receivers of these two voices, and we act in accordance to the one we fill ourselves up with most. We were created to be vessels of God's glory; however, we have free choice and we can choose to be vessels of the Enemy's deceit (2 Corinthians 4:7).

Jesus tells us to take His yoke upon us (Matthew 11:29-30). A yoke is a tool used to team two oxen together so that they may work in the same effort. In the book of Job, when Job's wealth is assessed, the animals are individually counted except for his oxen. The oxen are always counted in pairs (Job 42:12).

A yoke signifies room for two -- a pair. If we are not completely yoked to Jesus, then the Enemy is gaining access as well. If we are not 100% sold out to Christ, we will find ourselves at any moment yoked to the kingdom of the Enemy. Sadly, we become lukewarm Christians tossed back and forth by the waves of our culture (Revelations 3:15-16) & (Ephesians 4:14).

How can we have the abundant (overflowing) life that God promises when we our allowing ourselves to be yoked to the Enemy? If we are yoked to the Enemy, we won't be able to fully sow a bountiful harvest because he will assuredly force us to either stop, get distracted or completely mess up the plowing. Our necks will become tired and covered with soars. Our backs will begin hurting, and we'll fall over in exhaustion. Only Jesus' yoke is light and easy to bear.

I think many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that we are just neutral. We are not fully committed to God, yet we think that we are not committed to the Enemy either. Sadly, this is not true. We are either yoked to the Kingdom of God or we are yoked to the Kingdom of the Enemy. There is no middle ground.

God knows that we will make mistakes, and we are given unmerited favor (grace) because of His love for us. But it is my earnest cry to the Lord that I be yoked to Him! I don't want to be a puppet for the Enemy. I don't want to look back to moments in my past and realize that I was used by the kingdom of the Enemy to do his awful bidding. I hate the enemy, and I want to claim victory over his schemes.

How can I do that? I can I make an effort to yoke myself to the Holy Spirit so that the times I'm used by the Enemy become less frequent?

I have to listen for the soft voice of God. Psalm 19 says that the voice of God is everywhere. It is in the heavens and the earth, and all of creation shouts His glory. But we can't hear God's soft whispers when we are consumed by the roars of the Enemy.

The Enemy is loud and his roar echoes through our mainstream culture, especially the different channels of media. I hear his lies shouting through the TV and screaming through the radio. His roar is pulsating through mainstream magazines and yelling through books. The Enemy deafens our ears with the Internet, and we forget what the glory of God looks like.

My desire is that Christians shut the Enemy up! We need to stop listening to him in our homes, in our cars, at our work and with our friends. Our ears are becoming accustomed to his lies and our children are finding comfort in his voice. Ask yourselves these questions:

1) What am I allowing to enter my house through the television? Is it yoked to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of the Enemy?

2) What music am I listening to? Is it yoked to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of the Enemy?

3) What magazines am I flipping through? Are they yoked to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of the Enemy?

4) What books am I reading? Are they yoked to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of the Enemy?

5) What am I consuming on the Internet? Is it yoked to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of the Enemy?

Whose voice are we allowing to enter into our hearts, minds, souls? Is it a voice declaring God's the glory or the Enemy's?

Let us cultivate our Media Meditation together. Join me at Get Revived Conference!



Labels: , , , , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Another great post!
Blessings,
andrea

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The amazing thing about being yoked to God is that "His burden is easy; his yoke is lighe." Satan's yoke wears us down it is so heavy. It's like opposite day (my 3rd graders favorite type of day) and when you put on God's yoke your burden is light - it doesn't wear you down - it's just the opposite - it lifts you up!

What a wonderful point Alisa! Have a blessed week!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Cindy Bultema said...

As I was reading your POWERFUL post, I just kept saying Amen! Amen! Amen!! You preach it, sister!! Let's shut that enemy up!!!

Looking forward to not just reading you but hearing you on-line this week!! May the Lord continue to use for MAXIMUM IMPACT in the Kingdom!!

Blessings to you!
Cindy :)
*She Sparkles*

10:38 PM  
Blogger Cindy Bultema said...

P.S. I just peeked at your hand-out. AMAZING!! LOVE IT! What a helpful tool! I called my husband in from the other room to have him look at it also. THANK YOU for taking the time to put this "inventory checklist" together. What a blessing!! I'm even MORE excited for your talk this week!! You go girl! :)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm looking forward to hearing you speak this week!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You continue to inspire me to live a more God-filled life!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Alene said...

You rock! Can't wait to hear your message.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Great encouragement in this. All too often we start slipping back into the world, and don't even realized we have dropped our yolk!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very well stated. We can not serve two masters. It is vital that we put God before anything we do. We must stay in His Word in order to withstand the onslaught of the enemy. I have a friend who is now stuggling with this very thing. Please pray for him. Thank you for sharing this blog. :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Amen...there is no middle ground...loved your enlightment on being yoked with the Lord...

10:43 PM  
Blogger Debra@CommonGround said...

I've always loved the analogy of the yoke and oxen. The media can be used by the enemy in so many negative ways, we all need to be reminded of what we are allowing into "the temple".
Blessings,
Debra

9:41 AM  
Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

Very good reminder, Alisa, that we are costantly at war with the evil one. But, we are fully equipped by God's Spirit to do battle for righteousness. Good post.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Are you ready for tomorrow? I'm looking forward to hearing your session! Today's sessions have been awesome!

2:14 PM  
Blogger April Gardner said...

A blessing. Thanks, Alisa.

2:52 PM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

This was AWESOME! Such Truth!

So true about what we allow to enter our "gates".....we need to be suited in His Armor at all times....from head to toe.

xox

6:41 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Convicting!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Kristine McGuire said...

I heard this presented today on A Woman Inspired and it was awesome! Thank you again for sharing such needed and practical information on true meditation.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

You're so right: There is no middle ground with God.

No middle way.

Just one way: Jesus Christ.

And He asks us to give all of ourselves to all that He has planned for us.

I didn't get to hear you on AWI, but I want you to know that you do inspire me to grow closer and closer to our Savior.

Sweet dreams.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

I prayed for you today. Hope your presentation went well.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Farming On Faith said...

Well said~oh so very true. The enemy gets far to much!
May we strive to stay spirit filled and be yoked with Jesus Christ.

Great devotion!
Blessings from Missouri~
Carrie

10:29 PM  
Blogger valerie said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.
I am looking forward to reading yours.
God bless & {{{hugs}}} from Oklahoma!
Valerie

8:27 AM  
Blogger MrBibleHead said...

Hey Alisa! This post just blessed me so much! Thank you! Just the thought of being yoked to Christ is amazing! Why do we choose the roar of the devil over God's whisper sometimes? Thanks again Alisa! God bless you as you speak this week. Oh, I'm having a give-away over at mrbiblehead.blogspot.com I know you're a follower and I'd love for you to have a shot at the nifty prize:o)

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Esther said...

Thanks for this encouraging post!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

Great post to ponder over. You're right there's no such thing as being neutral.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great words. I hope I can connect with the next conference.

Much love!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Oh Alisa...thank you, thank you for stopping by my blog (gems4thejourney)...thru your comments I found your blog...and I have been truly blessed. These words are so powerful and there is an anointing here.

It is so true how the enemy uses the media...just like in the garden he starts out with a partial truth to get our attention and if are not watchtowers over what he says we can fall into the trap of being deceived. I read thru several posts and I have been truly blessed....thank you. I will be back for more....

7:21 PM  
Anonymous sewa mobil said...

thanks for the words that have been submitted. It strengthens the faith of Christianity

10:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm looking forward to getting the MP3's from the conference. I think my hubby and I are going to listen to your session together. I was able to catch portions of your session during the conference but I missed some parts. So I'll get to hear the whole thing when I get the MP3s.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Karen

9:54 PM  
Anonymous sewa mobil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home