This Page

has been moved to new address

Internet Cafe: Talking with God

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Internet Cafe: Talking with God

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

March 4, 2010

Internet Cafe: Talking with God


I allow each of my boys to pray at night as they are lying in bed. My youngest boy is three and my oldest is five. The youngest one usually prays and his older brother then follows. At first my youngest boy didn’t want to pray because he was embarrassed. He didn’t pray like his older brother, and I think that made him self-conscious. However, I encouraged him without any pressured expectations, and he started to pray now and then.

One night, my youngest son jumped into praying. He prayed for juice, toys, cookies, popcorn, etc. I could hear my oldest son snickering under his breath. When my youngest son said, “Amen,” I kissed him and went over to my oldest son’s bed.

I whispered in his ear, “You used to pray like that. He will get better and better as he practices. Let’s not make fun of him, okay?”

My oldest son looked grave and shook his head in agreement. He then prayed his prayer with confidence. He asked God to bless our family and protect us while we slept. I kissed him goodnight, turned off the lights and shut the door behind me.

Prayer is often so misunderstood. There are people who can pray all the pretty religious phrases and others who are straightforward. They are all beautiful as long as the motive is right. What is the motive of prayer? To speak to God.

We have an amazing line to God, and it takes time to get the hang of it. We must not beat ourselves up if we feel like we didn’t pray right. God hears the heart, not the words. The only way to get better at talking with God is to practice – practice makes perfect!

Do you feel like your prayers are hitting the ceiling? Be honest with God, and He will meet you where you are at. He wants to communicate with you more than anything. How can you save time for him every day? What could you take out or move in your schedule in order to put praying to God as priority?

And just remember that when there are no words, Jesus prays on your behalf!

“Father, help us to seek You every day. We know that it takes work to forge an intimate relationship with You. Put a passion in us that seeks to know You more. We pray this in Jesus’ name, amen.”

“I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours” (John 17.9 NIV).

You can also read this at the Internet Cafe!




Download your FREE copy of Sitting with God: A 40 Day Meditation

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Blessings, andrea

7:01 AM  
Blogger CC said...

Thanks. A very important message. Blessings to you my friend. CC

8:38 AM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

Good info, even for us big kids:)
Blessings,
Karen

1:33 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Missed you - welcome back!

Spiritual babies also need time to grow and mature.

Blessings,
Susan :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

absolutely wonderful!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by!! :) and congrats to you too!! You brighten up the internet! :)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Leah Adams said...

Alisa,

Congratulations on the top 100 award over at the Cafe. Your blog is beautiful and I just sense HIS presence all over it.

Thanks for stopping by The Point and offering your congrats.

Leah

3:32 PM  
Blogger Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love this. I love the simplicity of kids. Sarah

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful when they are young and learning their way to pray.

Congratulations on No. 1 Cup Overfloweth Blog Award - Top 100 Blessed Aroma 2009!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I'm so happy to see you made the top 100! Your cup overflows on my daily, sweet sister!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Nana Jul said...

It is all about practice! Practicing forgiveness, practicing gentleness, practicing self control...The more we practice, the closer we get to looking more like Jesus.
Great message!!
Huge Hugs and thanks for drawing my name to attend the Get revived conference! What an unexpected JOY today!! Thank you,
Love,
Julie

8:10 PM  
Blogger MrBibleHead said...

Great heartwarming story Alisa. So sweet and so true. I know some adults that are embarrassed to pray out loud, and when they finally do... it's so refreshing! They are so real and not formatted.

11:12 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

Love this so much. Prayers of a child are my absolute favorite thing to listen to. They may seem simple, but they are so truly heartfelt!My little girl took awhile to believe she could pray right also, but when I assured her that all she has to do is talk to God, it got better. Now we start bedtime a solid 10 minutes earlier and grab a cup of tea before she begins... you're gonna be there awhile! :)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Joyful said...

Hi,
I have an award for you on my blog.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Thanks for this post. So true that we must discipline ourselves in all areas of our spiritual lives. Being intentional is so difficult at times yet rewarding!!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Critty said...

I really enjoyed your post at the Cafe! You always make me ponder :)

Congratulations on being in the top 100 it is well deserved!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Congrats on making the top 100! Woo hoo!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Magendie said...

Belated thank you's for my birthday wishes! *smiling*

11:41 AM  
Blogger Patricia said...

What a precious moment for a mother and her children, Alisa.

Congratulations on making the top 100!

Blessings,
Patricia

7:10 PM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

Came by to say congratulations on top 100 at the Internet Cafe. You have a beautiful blog. God bless you and to God be the glory.

Hugs

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful when your sons find their voices for God. We were fortunate with our two youngest - they went to a mother's day out where at age 2 and above they memorize the books of the old and new testament, The Lord's Prayer and The 23 Psalm. Then one day, on the way to school, I started delegating. Today the littlest one leads The Lords Prayer (He gets his thees mixed up with mes), the next leads the 23 Psalm. The Freshman find a Proverb and if the junior rides with us, he reads a parable.
However,there is something incredibly beautiful about their own personally crafted prayers from the heart!

Those are precious mom moments - and you handled your moment just as beautifully.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I needed to read this message this morning. It is one of Hope and not Despair. It is a message that Heals and doesn't tear one down. It applies to everyone seeking a meaningful relationship with Christ Jesus! :)

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home