This Page

has been moved to new address

Media Meditation: Truth or Lies?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Media Meditation: Truth or Lies?

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

March 8, 2010

Media Meditation: Truth or Lies?


Join me at the Get Revived Conference!

When I was about 12 years old, my family and I went to Denali Park in Alaska. There was a beautiful glacier in the park that was roped off. However, many people were crossing under the ropes and climbing up the icy face of the frozen mountain.

I was excited! I wanted to climb a glacier. I ducked under the rope and began my trek up the slippery ice. As I started climbing, I realized that my t-shirt, jeans and Keds tennis shoes were not helping me. In fact, I kept slipping down the ice, and I almost fell into the deep blue ravines that cut through the glacier like giant bear claws.

I noticed other people were climbing the glacier with ease because they were prepared with climbing gear. They were focused and ready for the trials that they would face in order to experience the blessing of reaching the top.

I gave up trying to climb the glacier because I knew that I would never make it in my current state of helplessness. I missed out because I wasn't ready.

This memory reminds me of the abundant Christian life that God has planned for each of us. So many Christians want the blessings of God, but they are not ready to receive them. Living an abundant Christian life is riddled with trials and tests, and we must allow the Holy Spirit to equip us. Otherwise, we will slip down the ice and possibly fall into a ravine. We will be controlled with fear and frozen by our weaknesses.

God is able to prepare our hearts for an amazing adventure with Him through meditation. Joshua 1.8 (NIV) reads, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." We must mediate on God's truth, so that we can stand firm on His promises. Otherwise, we are doomed to failure.

Meditation is the filling of our hearts with either truth or lies. One of the biggest sources of meditation today is found through media. Christians need to be diligent about weeding out the many lies that pour out of media. Those lies make us vulnerable to the Enemy and keep us fearful, distracted and disinterested in crossing over to the abundant Christian life.

We only have one life. We need to make the best of it. Let us focus our hearts on God's truth and make our way up the glacier to His amazing blessings. It will be difficult, but it will be the thrill of a lifetime. . . guaranteed!


Download my conference worksheets for Media Meditation here.



Download your FREE copy of Sitting with God: A 40 Day Meditation

Labels: , , , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Amen! Climbing that glacier with you....

9:33 PM  
Blogger Beth Herring said...

Oh, what a powerful post. We certainly need to make sure we have equipped ourselves properly for the task that God has for us.

You always speak to my heart Alisa.

Love, Beth

10:07 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

AMEN....climbed a lot of glaziers in my lifetime.
Hugs,
andrea

10:21 PM  
Blogger Leah Adams said...

Amen!! And Oh, me. Great post that reminds me about diligence in my walk with Christ!! It takes diligence to tune out the world's noise.

I am so sorry that I won't be able to be part of the Get Revived Conference. I have to work next week. Glad to have the work, but sorry to miss the event.

Leah

5:43 AM  
Blogger Kristen Torres-Toro said...

This is awesome, Alisa! Thanks so much for this reminder!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Thank you Alisa! This post reminds me of the Crystal Lewis song "For Such a Time as This". I appreciate you!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Amen! We are climbing a glacier, glad you shared that memory. We certainly do need to be prepared.
kim

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Hi - I love the analogy and agree that this Christian life is a wild adventure and one for which we wanted to be prepared.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hey Alisa! I'm looking forward to hearing you speak at the conference. I'm really hoping my schedule will work out okay to participate!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Wonderful post. Great reminder that we are to fill ourselves with the truth of God's words and not satan's lies.

7:07 PM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

Great post.....love your analogy (I am a total analogy kinda gal *wink)

"Living an abundant Christian life is riddled with trials and tests, and we must allow the Holy Spirit to equip us."

Amen to that! I am currently reading Francis Chan's Forgotten God and it is amazing....all about The Holy Spirit!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Loved the segue from the mountain to the things of God. Just like you weren't prepared to scale that mountain, we are not prepared to walk in victory unless we are girded with the truth and the Life!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Thank you!!!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Hi Alisa!
Wonderful post ... I'm going through such a difficult season right now, but I can see how God is blessing me even through the trials and how He's using the trials to give me opportunities to comfort and encourage others.

On another note ... just got back from an awesome writing conference! It's my third year going to the Florida Christian Writers Conference ... Have you ever been? It's opened so many doors for me!

2:44 PM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

Amen! Enjoyed visiting and partaking of Him with you. Blessings!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

I totally love this post. I have read the Bible for a long time, but only now am I learning what it means to medtiate! Your anology tied in so well!

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Your illustration is so powerful. What a challenge today to choose to meditate on what God considers the "good things" ~ Micah 6:8.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jeanette Levellie said...

I'm amazed at God's grace to keep us on the path, even when we slip around.

Thanks for your wisdom,
Jen
Audience of ONE

1:31 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Meditation is the filling of our hearts with either truth or lies.

amen amen amen girl...

I think on Philippians 4:4-8 and 2 Corinthians 10:3-5....

"Christians need to be diligent about weeding out the many lies" that sets itself up against the knowledge of God Almighty!!

Wonderful devotional, awesome sharpening sweet sister....

6:37 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

I always find your devotional get to the heart of the matter. Thanks.

Blessings,
Susan :)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home