This Page

has been moved to new address

Fast to Feast- Day 7

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Fast to Feast- Day 7

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

February 27, 2010

Fast to Feast- Day 7


In ten hours, my seven day fast will be complete. I will wake up tomorrow and enjoy a small steaming mug of soy chai tea, cantaloupe and raisins. This has been one of the most difficult and most rewarding weeks of my life. All I can say is that God is good!

During the first two days of fasting, I knew I was doing something wrong. I think I was in grin-and-bear-it mode. By the the third day I was so hungry, and the only thing that I could do was pray. I started talking to God, and His overwhelming love and power filled my spirit. Jesus says, " You're blessed when you're ravenously hungry. Then you're ready for the Messianic meal" (Luke 6.18 The Message). I definitely was ready to feast from the Lord!

After God spoke to me powerfully, I remembered Jesus saying to the disciples after He had shown mercy to the woman at the well, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about" (John 4.32b NIV). I had to ask myself, "What do I crave more? My food or my God?"

I read in my one year Bible, The Message/Remix Pause Bible, a few days into my fast the following verses from Amos Chapter 4:

6"You know, don't you, that I'm the One
who emptied your pantries and cleaned out your cupboards,
Who left you hungry and standing in bread lines?
But you never got hungry for me. You continued to ignore me."
God's Decree.

7-8"Yes, and I'm the One who stopped the rains
three months short of harvest.
I'd make it rain on one village
but not on another.
I'd make it rain on one field
but not on another—and that one would dry up.
People would stagger from village to village
crazed for water and never quenching their thirst.
But you never got thirsty for me.
You ignored me."
God's Decree.

I want to hunger and thirst for God more than anything else. Only then will I live the abundant life that He has planned for me. During my fast, God showed me many things. I allowed Him to expose those sins that were hidden away and forgotten about. They were deep within my heart, awaiting a time to destroy my God-given purpose. They needed to be weeded out, so that I could draw closer to Him.

The biggest sin was my disbelief. I realized that I believed in God only about 90%. I still clung to my 10% of disbelief just in case God was unable to prove Himself to me. God has given me many promises, and I was holding out my total commitment until those promises came true. I wanted my wedding feast before I took the effort to walk by faith to the wedding hall. I didn't want to be a fool, but I know now that I was the fool for not comprehending the power and might of our God.

My fast also enlarged my capacity to handle the burden that comes with blessings. You can't have one without the other. Jesus says, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked" (Luke 12.48b). Therefore, if I want an abundant life with Jesus and have blessings poured into my life, I need the capacity to handle the responsibilities that go hand in hand.

A Christian who is being blessed is a Christian who is sacrificing for the kingdom of God. Salvation comes by faith, but blessings come by obedience. And God wants us to be 100% obedient to His will, so that He can pour out His blessings. What I've discovered is that our little acts of obedience are nothing compared to the blessings waiting for us, but we must make sure that our motive is right. We are obedient because we love God, and He blesses us because He loves us. This is a beautiful picture of serving, not bartering.

I felt like the woman in 2 Kings 4.1-7. This woman poured out from her emptiness, and God's supernatural power continued to flow. By day four I felt physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually depleted, but God filled me with His strength, joy, love, mercy and everything else I needed. God always provided when I lookd to Him for help. I was completely dependent on God to help me finish my fast, and He showed Himself as my Great Sustainer.

"Father, thank You for helping me through this fast. Bless my life and make me strong so I can handle the weight of those blessings. In Jesus's name, amen."


Fast to Feast- Day 1
Fast to Feast- Day 2
Fast to Feast- Day 3
Fast to Feast- Day 4
Fast to Feast- Day 5
Fast to Feast- Day 6


We are now accepting submissions for the next Sanctified Together Publication: Life is a Vapor. Click here for more information.

Download your FREE copy of Sitting with God: A 40 Day Meditation

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I haven't had a chance to read your other posts on your fast. But thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I wanted to ask you - what day and time do you speak at the Get Revived conference? I'd really like to be able to listen in!

Hope you're having a great day!
Karen

3:54 PM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I think you are so talented, love the journey..
kim

7:31 PM  
Blogger Alene said...

You bless me so and touch my heart completely. Thanks for sharing Christ who exudes out of your every word and pore.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

I did the 7 day fast once. I thought I was going to die! Your faithfulness to chase God will bless you incredibly!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Debra@CommonGround said...

Wonderful posting about your fast, Alisa! I love what you said about salvation coming from faith, but blessing comes from obedience. So very, very true. Unfortunately we don't hear it from the pulpit as much as we should. We all like instant gratification so much more than obedience.
Debra

1:06 PM  
Blogger Corrie Howe said...

I've never done a 7 day fast. The longest I did was 36 hours. I know a couple of people who have done a 7 day fast and have experienced the same things as you.

I know you are truly blessed by this time depending upon the lord.

I love the verse about Jesus having a food more fulfilling than bread. And I know my greatest sin is also my unbelief. "Lord, I believe, please help my unbelief."

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

God is so mind-blowingly good. Thank you for sharing your fast to feast experiences.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

This was convicting. I needed to be reminded of this and these verses from the Message you quoted were so powerful! Thank you. And I pray you continue to reap the benefits of your fast!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thank you for sharing this experience.

I need to ask Him about fasting.

I want more of Him.

Sweet dreams.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Sierra said...

Thank you! I needed to hear this today. Even though I am only fasting from sweets...every day someone seems to offer me something tempting. So far I have prevailed and God has helped me through it. Thank you for sharing your experience and glad God is touching you through it!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You really do inspire me. What an amazing thing you did (with Him!).

11:05 AM  
Blogger Girl Invisible said...

I am just so blessed to have found your blog - your words resonate so deeply with me. May God bless you with the abundant life found only by living intimately close to Him, just as you desire. You have sincerely inspired me. Thank you.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Will be book marking this page so I can continue reading each fast day.

I've been living a Sacrificial Diet (fasting two meals a day) for over three years now. I've also done a few fasting all meals, for three days periodically.

The biggest sin was my disbelief.

This rang within me...for this was also revealed to me about 18 months ago.

I 'thought' I had faith, I TRUSTED. believed! But I still held back. doubting, disbelief.

God gave me a scripture 10 years ago Mark 9:29...7 years later I started to see the meaning of this and what it entailed in my own spiritual walk.

Looking forward to reading more.

9:05 AM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your journey in such detail. I'm blessed by your life and example.

I'm new to fasting, even obeying. The scripture God gives you to share with us are powerful.

I can't even describe what it means to me that you share your life, your walk with us. Thank you. Thank you.

May God continue to bless you richly, and may you be prepared to receive it.
Amen!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home