This Page

has been moved to new address

Just Jump!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: Just Jump!

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

November 11, 2009

Just Jump!


I love Peter. He is one of the coolest dudes in the New Testament, besides Jesus, of course! I'm a lot like Peter. I see Jesus walking on water, and I'm mesmerized. My eyes are fixed on Him, and I beg Him to call me into the waves. When Jesus finally calls me out of my safe boat, I jump into the water and take off running. About 10 seconds into my full-on sprint, I second guess myself and get distracted.

I see big waves all around me, I feel water spray hitting my face and I hear the wind angrily howling for me to stop (little bit 'o spiritual warfare). My pace starts to slow down, and I think, "What the heck are you doing, Alisa? You can't walk on water! You're going to drown!" aaaannd . . . KERPLUNK! SPLASH! I fall into the water and go into "save my own skin" mode.

As I'm gulping water and gasping for air, Jesus comes to me calmly, picks me up, smiles and says, "You of little faith. Why did you doubt?"

I look up at Jesus and sheepishly say, "Well, at least I got out of the boat! The scardy-cat Eleven are white-knuckling the edge -- safe as can be!"

Jesus sighs, smiles again ('cause He loves me) and carries me (on water) back to the boat. He knows I'm not perfect, but I'm trying.

Are you trying?

Are you sitting in the boat or are you begging for Jesus to tell you it's time to come out? I don't think Jesus was disappointed because Peter jumped out of the boat and sank. I think Jesus knew how much Peter was capable of accomplishing, but Peter didn't trust himself or Jesus.

Jesus knows our potential because He put it there. We've just got to trust Him.

Don't be scared to jump out of the boat for Jesus. He wouldn't tell you to jump if He knew you would sink. Not only does Jesus believe you can walk on water, He believes you can run up waves, backflip off whitecaps and do a victory dance all the way back to the boat. Why? Because that's God promise to you! God says that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (Philippians 4.13).

This promise is what distinguishes us from the rest of the world. Christians should be doing the most crazy, amazing things and the world should be gawking! We shouldn't be known for our self-righteousness or our judgmentalness. We should be known for our amazing feats, our love for others and our love for God.

Don't be scared! God has all the cosmos in His hand; I'm pretty sure He can handle your little (but important) life. And wherever you fail, God will slip in His grace. God's grace fills in all the cracks of our imperfections. His grace mixed with our obedience is an extremely beautiful and powerful thing.

Be obedient today and jump out of your safe boat. Overcome your fear and prepare yourself for the ride of your life!

What has God been telling you to "jump into"? Are you holding onto the edge of the boat, thrashing around in the water, timidly walking toward Jesus or showing off for God with your backflips?


*This post is dedicated to my twin sister -- JUST JUMP!


Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Bina said...

...beautiful!!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Terri Tiffany said...

I needed to be reminded of this truth today:) A while back, I read that scripture and jumped out, I've since crawled back in.

6:36 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

Love the challenge! And I agree, Peter, pretty amazing guy!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Cherie Hill said...

LOVE this post! We can all learn ALOT from Peter! May we all keep our eyes and hearts fixed on Jesus!
With joy,
Cherie

8:49 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Peter full of vim and vinegar and is one of my favorite persons in the NT.. I would like to have the fire that he had..... we would change the world.......

9:16 AM  
Blogger Touch of Grace Photography said...

Love it!! I am calling my husband right now to read it to him :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger strokeofliving said...

Jump? ...but what if...

but I have to have a plan...

but what if I fail...

but,but,but...

Oh just go on and jump C.

Just jump...jump!

I'm one to talk, I'm practically retired from doing what I love in entertainment and I'm being pulled to sharing my experiences through writing/blogging. I can't see any $$ yet, I've been out of work for 14 months but I trust God. I do.

So jump? No, I'm being pushed... no showing off here, I'm not even being timid.

I'm just being obedient and walking. Yes I'm walking in/through 'water' but water has buoyancy to keep you from drowning.

The buoyancy is Jesus.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Woo Hoo! What an inspiring post - I have definitely felt called out of the boat in many areas of my life...and it's a little scary (ok, a LOT scary) - but I have this excitement that it's definitely going to be worth it because like you said, Jesus wouldn't tell you to jump if he knew you were going to sink. We might look awkward, messy, and swallow some water along the way - but as you also said - God's grace fills in the cracks. Thank you Alisa - I was just thanking God today for all of the different people He has been bringing into my life to communicate His word in a way I can grasp - whether in person or via blog. Thanks again!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Ah, I love it! I never thought of Peter's letdown that way - at least he got out of the boat.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Alene said...

Are you in my head again? Today, I will jump with my eyes fixed on Jesus. Hebrews 12:2. Thanks for the awesome visual!!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Great post and so challenging! :O)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Corrie Howe said...

I love Peter too. I find create comfort to know that a man like Peter can be used so mightily by God. Because my oldest teenager has a lot of Peter in him.

1:36 PM  
Blogger teri-free2bme said...

Wonderful post!!! I love this Bible story and am always inspired by the life application message of Peter and Jesus walking on water together. There's a song by Nate Sallie called "It's About Time" that when I hear it, it indirectly reminds me of the Peter story... taking a step of faith; getting my feet wet; take a dive in the deep end (facing my fears)...

1:52 PM  
Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

Another wonderful piece of writing! Thanks for dedicating it to me!!!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, I needed this tonight...great post...these sentences especially grabbed me...

"Jesus knows our potential because He put it there."

"God's grace fills in all the cracks of our imperfections."

6:46 PM  
Blogger Libbie said...

We all have a little Peter in us! THanks for the encouragment to jump!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous susie said...

This post rocks!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Great advice! I agree - we (and especially I) spend way too much time second guessing what God is asking me to do, rather than getting out and DOING it and trusting Him for it!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Great post! I am so focused on the possibiblty of falling that I often don't step out. Thank you providing a clearly picture through your post.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Carla Gade said...

I love the challenge. Thank you for the reminder!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home