This Page

has been moved to new address

The Accuser

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: The Accuser

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

September 26, 2010

The Accuser

"Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: 'Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down'" (Revelation 12.10 NIV).

I recently read this verse in Revelation, and I got a better understanding of what I'm up against when trying to live a sold-out life for Christ. I have an Enemy who accuses me day in and day out. And he is very good at what he does. I've only been on this earth for a short time; my Accuser has been on this earth since time began. He has practiced his schemes on every generation since Adam and Eve, so I am no surprise to him. The Accuser looks at me and thinks, "Piece of cake."

There is no way that I will be able to claim victory over this Accuser on my own. I might as well admit defeat because I am out-smarted and out-matched. Thankfully, God knows that I would lose in my own strength, so He tells me to die to my weak self and live in the power that He has given me (Luke 9.23-24).

Dying to self is very hard at first, but it gets easier when we begin to see first hand what God can accomplish in our lives when our selfish dictatorships are out of the way. Once I learned to forgo my plans and cling to God's, I discovered a life that was worthy to be lived -- a life that produced a harvest for God's kingdom.

When we let go of our limited understanding, we gain the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2.16). The Enemy may out-smart us, but Jesus Christ out-smarts him. Jesus proved this on the cross when He defeated death. Moreover, Christ renews our mind, and we leave the predictable patterns of the world that the Enemy is well versed in. The Enemy knows how to make us fall, but the renewing of our minds in Christ will keep the Enemy guessing (Romans 12.2).

Also, when we realize that we are weaker than our Enemy, we will rightly give control over to the Holy Spirit. God's spirit in us is like having a perfect guide, perfect leader, perfect parent and perfect compass in our lives. We are out-matched by ourselves, but the Holy Spirit greatly tips the scales in our favor (John 14.26). Although the Enemy may be accusing us, God's spirit is constantly interceding for us. I can only imagine that the Accuser's accusations are petty compared to the amazing things God's Spirit says about us (Romans 8.27).

But who are we listening to? Are we listening and believing in the Enemy's accusations or are we listening and believing in God's truth? I once believed that it was normal to allow my mind to accuse myself, but I discovered that I was doing the Enemy's will. I want to do the will of God. I want to proclaim my victory and my value according to God's truth established for me. What is God's truth? He loves me. He loves you. He loves us enough to die for our sins so that we can commune with a holy God through the righteousness we gain by faith in Jesus Christ (1 John 4.10) & (Romans 5.17).

I think if we fully understood God's love for us, we would instantly embrace His will for our lives. He has such an amazing plan for all of us--a plan that we could never comprehend or fulfill without Him (1 Corinthians 2.9). I want to stop listening and believing in the Enemy, so I can keep my ears and eyes focused on how God wants to display His glory through my life. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to listen to what God says about me.

"With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thessalonians 1.11-12 NIV).

Labels: , , , , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

You said: "I think if we fully understood God's love for us, we would instantly embrace His will for our lives."

I think us really grasping just how much God loves us would most definitely transform our lives. God wants what's best for His children and He knows what's best.

It may not always be easy to surrender and cling to God's plans for us, but His plans are indeed the best plans.

I hope you have an awesome week!
Karen

9:54 PM  
Blogger Beth Herring said...

oh, that we could fully grasp just how much our God loves us! then we wouldn't be so inclined to listen to the enemies lies - we would be able to stand stronger against satan and his evil ways.

love this Alisa! such truth and such power in this word!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

We were talking about this in my women's class yesterday at church. I think we have to recognize the negative voices that float through out head as Satan -- and just say "Stop it." I refuse to think that -- I know that's not who I am as a child of God. You are right...we have the victory in God.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Alisa,

This is a great post one number of levels. I think your point of us really being strong only when we are following the Spirit is a timeless truth.

The portion that caught my attention is the idea that we are someone to God. I am ministering to a number of people who feel unworthy and weak. The point that you so accuratley pointed out is that without God we are, but with God we are victorious. It is not through us, but it is through the Spirit that we reach this level. Thanks for the great direction Alisa :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Braley Mama said...

Thanks so much for this encouraging devotion!!!! You are spot on sister! He has defeated the enemy, and the enemy can't touch us when we trust in HIm!!!!!!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for sharing your inspiring post, Alisa! The Enemy is very strong, often stronger than us, but never stronger than God. Thanks for the reminder of God's truth and love!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Joanne Sher said...

What an incredible reminder. There is NO need to fear if we remember Who is strongest. Thanks, Alisa!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Your posts always touch me. Yes we are being accused by Satan, but we have Him, as a defender!
kim

1:16 PM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

Powerful!!

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

I'm with you Alisa, I've already wasted too much time hearing the lies of the enemy. "I'm ready to start listening to what God says about me."

6:44 PM  
Blogger Karen Lange said...

Thank you for this reminder. Dying to self is so important to our walk. I confess to be a work in progress.
Blessings,
Karen

7:18 PM  
Blogger From The Heart Online said...

Hi Alisa! I'm back :)

I love how God works all things together. Thought I'd pop by and share...

the other night the Holy Spirit gave me a devotional idea. I wrote it, but something didn't seem quite right. Something was off, or missing, and I couldn't figure out what it was.

The verse you quoted here - Rev 12:10 - that helped to shape the devo, and I built it in as the introduction. That was it. That's what it was missing.

God is good. He works ALL THINGS TOGETHER. Blows my mind :)

-Kim

1:21 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I love the idea of listening to what God thinks about us! There is such blessing and freedom when we tune into that as opposed to listening to the enemy. Thanks for the reminder.
Blessings
Dorothy :)

5:58 AM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

Great Post Alisa. It is funny am posting something close to what you are talking about this week. If we know the price Christ paid for us and fully understand the finished work of the cross, we will never listen to that condeminning voice. Amen to your prayer.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Sherrie said...

Praise God for His mercy is great towards us. Thank you Alisa for your willingness to proclaim the truth.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Alisa -

Excellent post!

Ephesians 6 also gives us ways to defeat the wiles of the enemy.

When we submit to God, resist the devil, he will flee from us.

Blessings,
Susan :)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

Heavens yes, and a big amen! It's so easy to start thinking and talking negative. Sometimes I think I do most of the enemy's work for him.

I agree with you wholeheartedly...when we fully understand God's love, His will becomes a light and easy load. Great pearls of wisdom, Alisa!

6:33 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Thank you for reminding me that God is stronger than any enemy I may face. May God Bless You.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Okay...since I've been "out of touch with the bloggin' world" for a while (since going back to school) I can tell you it was Divinely Orchestrated for me to stop by here this morning! (and when something is Divinely Orchestrated, it's up to us to D.O. something about the lesson given.) Whew! All I had to do was look at that picture..of the tug of war..and it spoke volumes. "How could she know this is what I'm feeling??" Well, if I was a bettin' person, I'd bet that there's LOTS OF OTHERS out there that are feeling the same way! So this was certainly Inspired by the Lord. Thank you, for just today, this morning I was feeling "beaten up" by the Accuser, and wondering, "Why doesn't the Lord just give up on me?" Oooh! That's exactly what the Accuser would want me to think---"that's right, GIVE UP!" (Already he knows the victory's been won!) How easily we forget that. Or I DO anyway. So..I wanted to take time out, even though I need to be getting ready for class (LOL) to say THANK YOU. I may have to hop back over here this afternoon for a follow-up session. LOL Hope it's a great day for you!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Amen! wonderful post! We are out-smarted and out-matched BUT with the power that He have given us we CAN defeat!

I love reading your blogs! They are always such a blessing :)

Blessings,
Krista

10:00 AM  
Blogger Together We Save said...

Thanks so much... stopping by is such a wonderful blessing.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this post, so I can take out my NIV and look up the verses you have listed. :)

1:27 AM  
Blogger MTJ said...

Hi Alisa,

This is an encouraging post, written to inspire the reader. It is imperative that we understand the war being waged over our life is a life and death struggle for my survival.

Realizing the importance of surrendering my life to Christ means I understand how powerless I am in defeating the enemy of my soul on my own.

Your writing always gives me much to think about.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Sullivan said...

Alsia,
You are so right. We would fully embrace God's will for us if we understood His love for us.

I know this to be true, but it is so tough to really comprehend.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Girl Invisible said...

Ever so simply, thank you. May you find your victory in Christ today and everyday, as I hope to.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Dying to self is so hard! I am working on that right now.

7:15 AM  
Blogger The Diaper Cake Boutique said...

Great insights!

7:49 PM  
Blogger lioneagle said...

Greetings -

This is a heart massager and soul comforter.

Thank you for this wise message!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home