This Page

has been moved to new address

It's Party Time!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith Imagined: It's Party Time!

Faith Imagined

Alisa Hope Wagner: Christian Writer

October 25, 2009

It's Party Time!


I am super pumped! I revealed in last post, Breakfast with Bono, that I struggle with having my time with God in the morning. Up till now God has allowed me to have my God-time anytime I could manage it, which usually wound up being at night or during my kids' nap time.

I've tried to do my God-time in the morning, but I've always given up. I'm just not a morning person, I insisted. There is no way I can have a meaningful interaction with God when I'm half asleep.

However, I'm praying the Prayer of Jabez for a month. If you haven't done this, I highly recommend it for those who want to play a significant role in the Kingdom of God. Part of the prayer is a petition for God to increase territory. I've earnestly prayed this for my writing ministry.

It became extremely apparent that a main factor in increasing my territory is for me to finally give God the first part of my day. In my previous post I explained that Jesus is way cooler than Bono, so I should be excited to wake up and talk with Him. Yet, it was still hard! What was I doing wrong? I carried a lot of guilt, thinking I just wasn't spiritual enough.

As I mulled over these things today at the grocery store, I thought of two of my friends. One friend loves her God-time in the morning. Her father used to wake up early in the morning with coffee, and she used to sit on his lap while he read his Bible. And now as an adult with three kids, she wakes up early, starts her pot of coffee and slowly sips the hot brew while reading her Bible.

My other friend is simply a morning person. One of her favorite verses is "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118.24 NIV). She has most of her day accomplished before 7 o'clock in the morning! I'm just getting started by the time she's in full gear.

My mornings have almost never been peaceful or productive. When I taught high school, I woke up with just enough time to get ready and get to work on time. Now that I stay at home with my kids, I wake up to the laughter of my sons and the squeals of my daughter. No time to get ready for the day. My day simply begins.

As I walked down the tea and coffee isle comparing myself to my friends, I started feeling even more guilt (ploy of the enemy). I told this struggle to everyone and made myself accountable, yet I still couldn't seem to find the solution. I felt defeated and embarrassed. I stared at all the coffee, wondering if I should start drinking it in the morning. Maybe that would wake me up. I'm not a morning coffee drinker. I do like going to Starbucks, but that is mainly because I get a sugary-whipcreamy dessert beverage.

I decided to skip the coffee. I didn't think forcing myself to drink coffee in the morning was the answer for me (though, it might be for others). I started to leave the isle in a huff. On my way I spied a yummy box of chai tea. I adore chai tea lattes! That's what I can do! I'll have a cup of creamy, hot chai tea and drink it from my wonderfully imperfect mug! That would give me something tangible to look forward to!

I started to feel guilty again about this new crutch to help me get up in the mornings. Shouldn't Jesus be enough? But before I could dwell on it, I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me even further.

You could also have a whole wheat English muffin with some blueberry preserves? He whispered.

Oooooh, that would be good, I thought

And why don't you play some worship music in the kitchen too, He added.

Wow, God! That sounds like a party just for You and me! I exclaimed.

Precisely, He chuckled. I love parties.

That's when the truth dawned on me. I expected my time with God to be something wonderful without putting any effort in it. It's like having a birthday without a party. The party makes the birthday special. Without the party, it's just another day!

I was feeling guilty over nothing. God loves to party! He is the creator of them! Humans are the ones that have twisted something so wonderful into something that scars the human soul.

When God released the Israelites from Egypt, God commanded that they have parties to remember what He has done. In Exodus 12 God told the Israelites to throw parties so they would remember the Passover and the Feast of Unleaven Bread (Exodus 12.1-29). God wants us to enjoy His mercy and blessings, not just to think about them!

So tomorrow morning around 6am, I am going to have a party with God! I will play my newest WOW CD for 2010, heat up a nice cup of chai tea latte, smother a crispy English muffin with preserves, read my Bible and talk with my savior! I'm so EXCITED!!!

How about you? How do you make your time with God special? What can you do in the morning to celebrate your time with Him? I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas! Let the partying begin!


This post is dedicated to my morning party girls: Liette and Sunny!


Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Christina Ketchum said...

Great post! I am going to try and have a 'party' with God in the mornings!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Cindy R. Wilson said...

That's a wonderful idea! I've been struggling a lot lately with having one-on-one time with God, particularly with my Bible. I'm not a huge morning person, but with kids this just might have to be the time to do it.

Putting on music and having a little muffin or something to drink would really make it seem more like a tradition and therefore a time that would work from a habit to a really appreciated and looked forward to time of the day. Thanks!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Corrie Howe said...

I love the idea of partying with God. Only, I'm more into sitting across my kitchen table and visiting with him. I enjoy this with so many of my friends and family and I enjoy this with God, when I take the time to invite Him to my kitchen table.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO excited!! This is exactly what I've been doing for the past three weeks. Even if I haven't grabbed my bible I put my worship music on and sing to Him with all of my heart. I feel so LOVED and UPLIFTED afterward!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Deborah Ann said...

!!!!! My jaw just dropped on the floor, excuse me while I pick it up.

I was doing the exact same thing! I would suffer through my God time, in a hurry to move on to something fun, like lighting some candles or having a fire in the fireplace, maybe a glass of wine.

Well, I'm off. You know where I'm going...

11:50 AM  
Blogger Sassy Chica said...

ooh-la-la a party with your Savior sound FABULOUS!! Before I became a Domestic Engineer, I use to have roughly an hour commute, so in the car on my way to work, I would take my morning drive as me and God time. I became an Domestic Engineer a little over a year ago, and I have not found a designated time to worship consistantly. Your post touched my hert, I love your writings!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

It's party time!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a bonus to my ridiculously early QTs! thanks for the idea and the encouragement!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Great ideas! I'm pretty good about having my quiet times in the morning, but sometimes I can get in a bit of a rut. I think some Peppermint Tea and a little worship music (Casting Crowns, anyone?) might be just the ticket.

Love your blog ... always inspiring! ;0)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Life Laugh Latte said...

I'm terrible at quiet time. I've never been a quiet person. I'm forced to do it for our couples covenant group, and enjoy the study time for that with a purpose. But, for now I feel God giving me grace by being with him in lots of ways. I pray for each blog I read (60 of them) as I hear their rants or disappointments. I listen to christian music all day which helps to keep my heart right (I really connect to God thru music.) I share prayer requests with friends I run with or have coffee with every week, and we talk about where we feel he is working or quiet in our lives. Our church is wonderful and I get a lot from that place every Sunday. I am a celebration girl at heart...and love the idea of a party with God. Cheers for that. Come on by for a visit. Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

3:38 PM  
Blogger day by day said...

okay...I love this post cause I could have written the beginning part of it!

I am not a morning person and carry tons of guilt that I am not starting my day of with Him!!! I have tried a few times, but have not been able to keep up with it. I like your idea and you have inspired me to try again and succeed!! Maybe we should check on one another in a week to see how we are doing? : )

love,
Michelle

3:38 PM  
Blogger Alene said...

Who says it needs to be quiet time with God? I love that! Party time with God!!!!! Reading through the Bible we know He loved parties too. Thanks girl.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Bernadine said...

Love this post. I call my morning quiet time "Coffee with God". God, my Bible and a nice cup of coffee while curled up in my favorite chair makes the perfect combination and a beautiful start to my day,(the days I don't oversleep that is).

8:44 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I love it! You write so beautifully! I was able to imagine shopping with you in the grocery store...LOL! i love it! I'll be partying with you tomorrow morning! After reading your devotional, I don't feel so 'ugh' now! heeheehee! Love you!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Thank you for being transparent and sharing this aspect of your faith. I struggle with finding time for my Father; especially at the season of life I am in.

Your morning time with God is an inspiration.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Cassandra Frear said...

What I like so much about this post is how we get a peek into your unique relationship with your Savior. It's delightful.

One of the things I felt impressed to do, starting this summer was to write a prayer or reflection to God before I write other things. It was another way to connect with him, and it has helped me slow down, think, breathe, savor, just be there.

8:47 AM  
Blogger SunJane said...

Beautifully put. Just beautiful.
think I need to add some music and food to my party.
-sunny

10:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! For years, I've gotten up an hour early to spend my time with God. But I admit I wonder sometimes what good my first fruits of the day are when I spend them propping my eyelids open and trying to keep the text from blurring with sleep!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHH... I loved this post! It feels so nice to know that so many women are up with the roosters having a praise party! See you in spirit tomorrow morning!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a great idea...can't you just see Him smiling....

10:37 PM  
Blogger Sierra said...

That is so awesome! I love your little party idea, I think I shall find some of my favorite Christian artists and do this sometime soon when my roomies are away!

6:56 PM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

Because of you, I have been spending time with God in the early morning hours. I cannot thank you enough for reminding me how important this is.

I know He was with me....I just did that good ole open up the Bible and read. I ended up reading about Saul....when I was done, I logged into my email and the first email I had contained the same Scripture I had been reading. awesome, huh?

So thanks again!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Terri Tiffany said...

This sounds absolutely awesome! I loved reading how you got to that point:) I hate hate mornings but now that I am working again, I'm thinking I might make that my time with God to start my day off right. Thank you!

7:26 PM  
Blogger alwayshopeful said...

got me really thinkin on this one.I also seem to ususally have my time with God at night and lots of time it winds up me falling asleep talking with him.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home